1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Running Bah Humbug Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, Dec 5, 2007.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yes, December 6 is my saints' day, and the day I start decorating.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Indeed. Also known as the 12th Day of Christmas.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Exactly. It's also when I always wanted to celebrate Christmas, because I once read that Santa Clause visits Dutch children on the epiphany and leaves them presents in their wooden shoes. I always wanted my shoes to be filled with presents :D

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

WI, it doesn't really suck so bad as an adult being a non-Christian this time of year. Hell, if I really wanted to, I could choose to celebrate Christmas. My father always wanted to when we were kids, even though he was Jewish as is my mother, but my mother drew the line there. Her father had been raised an Orthodox Jew and he would have lost it over that.

I feel for my little one. She's only four, but she already likes Christmas. She's into the decorations and the specials on television. So far, as long as she's getting presents, it's all good.

My only problem now is Christians who suddenly get uncomfortable around anybody who they know is Jewish this time of year, especially if they forget and wish me a Merry Christmas. I get it. Most people you deal with do Christmas. It's ok.

I will say it was a nice touch for my new boss to remember to wish me a Happy Chanukah yesterday as we were leaving work.

Sorry, was that not bah humbugish enough?

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Of course, Christmas really isn't the celebration of the birth of Jesus, either.

He likely wasn't born near the end of December, and the holiday began because pagans who had ostensibly been converted (at the point of a sword) stubbornly insisted on celebrating the winter solstice. So the Catholic Church banned the pagan celebration and called it Christmas instead.

So, then, happy convert or die day!

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Shoes filled with more shoes?

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Yes, my brain knew that, but I typed Dec. 6 in a flash of cretinism. I think it's because I was writing the December events calendar for the radio station and had been typing Dec. Dec. Dec. Dec. Dec. over and over again.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

We Italians celebrated that day, too. We left our socks out for Befana, and "she" filled them with little toys or candy. It was a nice extension of the holiday season.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Don't take my name in vain.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You foreigners should not be stealing our Christmas holiday, dammit!

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

An anti-epiphany of cretinism?

When the pagans won't give their shit up, just make it Christian and that'll show 'em. Easter Bunny's ours now, bitches!

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My grandpa was off the boat, not me. I get the best of both worlds.

Draft saved Draft deleted