1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The running ACADEMY AWARDS thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flash, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Thought the highlights of the night all belonged to the ladies:

1. Marion Cotillard's speech was very sweet. ""Thank you life, thank you love, and it is true, there is some angels in this city."

2. Diablo Cody's speech made me tear up a little near the end when she said, "Most of all I want to thank my family for loving me exactly the way I am." Perfect.

3. Marketa Irglova getting to come back on stage was the best moment of the night. "This song was written from a perspective of hope and hope, at the end of the day, connects us all, no matter how different we are."

It really surprises me, reading back through this thread this morning for the first time, how hard some of you were on Jon Stewart. I thought he was very funny. Understated, forced to trot out some of the Academy's crap, but pretty funny too, making fun of Norbit and such.

Jerry Seinfeld's "Bee Movie" crap needs to be taken out back and shot. Dear God, is it unfunny.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I wish I could say something that nice in my native language. She does it in a borrowed tongue.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Roger Deakens GOT SCREWED. Should have won for Jesse James.
    Nice to see Owen Wilson as a presenter rather than as part of the montage
    Wish Roderick James won for Editing on No Country..(mainly because of the funny picture the Coen's submitted - they are Roderick James).
    I liked the show, but their just weren't enough presenters or performers with Disney-ties (Myley, The Rock, Dempsey, Heigl, Adams et. al.)
    Academy to Brad Renfro: You aren't dead to me.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Someone's GOT to win a third at some point, right?

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Paul Newman only has one, and they gave that one to him to make up for the previous 25 years. So no.

6. DanOregon

Maybe now Daniel Day Lewis will lighten the f*ck up and star in the next Are We There Yet sequel with Ice Cube.

7. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Get me on the court and I'm trouble; last week fucked around and got a triple double.

8. DanOregon

Regarding the documentary awards Live from Baghdad, would have been kinda awkward if they had the soldiers do the full-length features and "No End In Sight" would have won. Yippeee!

Draft saved Draft deleted