1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Rum Diary

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Greenhorn, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

I just saw the first trailer on imdb. Looks pretty good and has a great cast. Johnny Depp (once again returns to HST territory) Bill Smitrovich, Amber Heard, Aaron Eckhart, Giovanni Ribisi and Michael Rispoli. It comes out end of October. Never read the book, but hopefully the adaptation is good.

2. http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2617613337

Looks good.

Reminds me of a story I read about Bill Murray having trouble recapturing his own essence after playing Hunter S.

I wonder if Johnny Depp is suffering from the same malady

3. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

A fantastic book. Great look at the old-time newspaper biz too. Just thinking about it makes me want to grab a burger, Bacardi and beer.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

That looks excellent.

5. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

I never paid Depp much attention until he starred as Ed Wood. Phenomenal performance that made me a fan. He was great as HST in Fear and Loathing (even if the movie is uneven) and I think it is cool seeing as a journo (like the great Robert Downey Jr. in Zodiac). I thought Murray was amusing in "Buffalo" but the movie was terrible and Murray looked nothing like HST, unlike Depp.

I just moved to Austin. Maybe I can find an intellectual, hipster woman to accompany me to the Rum Diary......

Draft saved Draft deleted