1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The rules are the rules

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

There you go.

And I read the health department reports in my paper and I refuse to eat at any restaurant in my county. Even the A- grades gross me out.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's pretty much what he ended up finding out. Which is why this thread made me think of it.
    (He also had cats, which totally disgusted the health inspector)

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well, cats should disgust any rational human being.

4. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Just the thought of eating a cupcake prepared by an 11-year-old who is not a family member disgusts me.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Anyone who pays an 11-year-old to bake them a batch of cupcakes knows what they are getting without having to be protected by a "rules are rules" bureaucracy. Nobody with a brain who ever bought cupcakes from her ahd an expectation that an 11-year-old has a commercial kitchen. People can assess the "risks" of eating a cupcake baked by an 11-year-old in her moms kitchen without an authoritarian local government protecting them.

The thing I find more sad than some officious idiot shutting her down is that some people on here actually find that kind of "regulation" reasonable.

Weigh the risks of an 11-year-old selling $200 of homemade cupcakes a month to the silliness of shutting her down to "protect" people from her cupcakes (really?). ... I can't believe anyone doesn't agree it is insanity.

6. YankeeFan

Oh, I'm not arguing with you. It's ridiculous.

But, the regulations put on actual food businesses are ridiculous too. See the Strawberry Ice Cream Thread: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/85441/

A local shared kitchen that nurtured many small businesses was recently hounded out of business here in Chicago too: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-05-16/features/chi-logan-square-kitchen-closing-20120516_1_flora-confections-licensing-city-hall

7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

So who do we appoint to figure out for whom the rules apply, and for whom the rules don't apply?

8. YankeeFan

The rules apply.

Common sense dictates where you spend your time on enforcement.

We've seen this on the national level. You'd think a local department could figure it out.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

A $200-a-month cupcake business goes beyond your typical bake sale or lemonade stand.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yep. To the point that it actually affects competitors who have to eat into their profit margins to meet code.

If it's $200 a month now, I assume the intent was to grow the business. At what number does it become something the health department is allowed to worry about?

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

A business a business. What if it were $1,000 a month? $10,000?
    The dollar value is irrelevant. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Maybe the US should just abolish FDA and Health Departments and make everyone set up their own lab to determine the risk of all the food they eat.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I say let her go, then watch her family be financially ruined when someone gets sick from one of her cupcakes and sues.

Draft saved Draft deleted