1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The rules are the rules

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Jan 30, 2014.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

2. I know this will run counter to the opinion to leave the kid be, but it does put the Health Dept in a tough spot. The problem is adults who will try to do the same thing, except only on a larger scale, and the hue and cry that would arise if someone died as a result of food contamination.
    The rules, unfortunately, are the rules
  3. JR

JR Active Member

Let's pretend it's not an 11 year old girl. That's an easy story. Let's pretend it's her mom's business.

It's a business, she's selling food and yes, there are public health regulations. So, yeah, the business owner has to be compliant

The separate kitchen issue? Never heard of that before. Don't think we have that law in Toronto--and Lord, we have dozens of rules & regs about the sale of food.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah I don't think food prep is an area we want to compromise on.

Also the average residential kitchen is a paradise for bacteria of all kinds.
  5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

"Heather Stirling said she wasn’t looking for special consideration for her daughter and would be willing to get the necessary licenses and permits to run a business."

How is this not enough?

Also, if rules are rules, I'll be expecting these assholes to shut down all of Alex's Lemonade Stands too. Cancer research isn't above the law, either.
  6. JR

JR Active Member

The "not enough" apparently has to do with a separate kitchen.
  7. MisterCreosote

I get that. I'm just saying one would think the "necessary licenses and permits" would only require sanitizing whatever location you use, not require that space to be newly constructed or separate.
  8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The regulations regarding a commercial kitchen are very strict. Your home kitchen would never pass.
  9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

There was a NY Times article a while ago where the reporter had a health inspector come in and inspect his kitchen based on the same code used for restaurants. He was a very neat, clean guy. His kitchen failed miserably.
  10. YankeeFan

It really wouldn't matter how "clean" it was.

You need things like separate sinks for washing your hands. You need a three compartment sink and/or a commercial dishwasher (which washes dishes at a much higher temp than your home machine).

Most of your surfaces have to be stainless steel, and they have to be sealed/caulked.
  11. YankeeFan

You might be able to start a food business out of your home by flying under the radar for a while, but I wouldn't suggest doing a lot of press.

You're going to have to rent time/space in a commercial kitchen to really get going.
  12. MisterCreosote

If that's the case, the sentence about her willingness to get the licenses and permits for which she'd never qualify is pretty irrelevant.
Draft saved Draft deleted