1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The ruination of TV journalism is well on its way

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, May 9, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm not saying TV journalism is in its finest hour by any means, but to imply that the main reason is women anchors? Yawn never fails to hit several branches falling out of the dumb tree.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I agree that corporate taint is adding to the problem. But I wouldn't say liberty is a fleeting thing. If someone depends on CNN or FOX or any other network to be their sole source of staying informed and staying American, there's a much greater threat to their liberty than TV: namely, ignorance.

TV is tainted, no doubt, but I can't and won't agree that it's endangering liberty. It's only endangering the liberty of the weak-minded.

3. I agree. People have a personal responsibility to educate themselves.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

As fun as it is to bash him, perhaps we could cut Yawn a little slack. I implored him to use some civility on the board and it might happen if we tried to do the same.

Everyone's free to post as they wish, but it's the issue, not the issuer, that should be the focus, y'think?

5. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

First of all, let's fix the thread title.

AMERICAN television journalism is in ruins.

BBC does just fine. So do the Canadian networks.

And it most certainly isn't limited to the blonde airheads. One just needs to point to the performances of Brian Williams and Chris Matthews during last week's debates to see it.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Maybe we won't all agree on this point, but I think it's fair to say virtually every network either has or is perceived to have a slant of some kind in the way they present their news. The degree and severity will always be up for debate but can we really "prove" one network is more guilty than another?

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yeah, but who cares about them? :D

8. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Good-looking people in front of your TV sets, in the minds of some execs, mean money. Brains are an added benefit, but not required. If you want to make that sexist, fine, but it's reality. Sometimes, a Wolf Blitzer is put at the top but it's the in-between that counts. If you look good and have enough brains to read a tele-prompter while listening to a producer in an earpiece, then you have the job.

9. duckncover

duckncover Member

Just google Melissa Theuriau and you'll see the power of internation TV news. I hear she's quite good. I don't care that she's good.

10. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Booyah!. I always liked Jennifer Eccleston.

http://jennifer-eccleston.com/

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Um, PC, she deleted her post. Considering its contents, you might want to do the same with the one where you quote the one she had second thoughts on.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Done. Hadn't noticed that. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted