1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ruden Report

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boom_70, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Thought that some of you folks who cover HS beats might be interested in this. Dave Ruden was 20 years was the local
    beat reporter for HS sports at the Stamford Advocate. Really did a fantastic job of covering local HS sports.

Recently he decided to leave the paper to start up a web site dedicated HS sports in Fairfield County. I assume he will be generating
    revenue through selling ads. Really have to admire the guy for taking a chance and following his dream. Hope it works out
    for him.

http://www.therudenreport.com/welcome-to-the-ruden-report/

"Why start a website? A number of reasons. I saw the positive reaction to my Overtime blog for The Stamford Advocate, as well as the many top blogs by a number of talented writers around the state. The high school-age demographic rarely reads newspapers anymore. Adult readers increasingly are getting their content over the Internet. And there is obviously an insatiable appetite for local sports coverage, especially high school sports.

Then there was what I consider a void that needed to be filled. The most feedback I received at The Advocate was on feature stories and commentary pieces. But over the last few years I wrote fewer and fewer of them. It wasn’t that I didn’t want to. It was not that my editors didn’t want me to. The reality is when I started at the paper 20 years ago, we had a nine-person staff. It is now down to three people. You can do the math."

Draft saved Draft deleted