1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Royko Thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Jun 26, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Zoloft, chistoso. Zoloft.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I regret having said a single word to encourage DP, and suggest people disengage, but up to you, obviously.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

You musta missed the part where I said I had some of the books and read them. Slats Grobnik would be so disappointed.

Well, I'm off to eat 6 hamburgers and drink a dozen beers. Then I'll write a column about it.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Man, that is fantastic shit: Sinatra's letter and Royko's response.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good for you...

6. rascalface

rascalface Member

Shame on you all for not mentioning his "prix fixe" column yet. The ending of that column still busts me up.

7. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

My greatest, most infamous moment in high school debate was when, during cross examination, I asked my opponent, "Plato? Isn't he a little out-dated?" (I was a naive 15-year-old).

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Love that.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

"Dated" is not the issue. "Great writing" is the issue. And yes, Mike Royko is a legend in the history of the industry.

Name one current columnist whose work is comparable to that of Mike Royko. Let me save you the trouble: There is nobody on that level. Period.

10. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Just another why I love this board. Thanks all for the columns, discussion and education.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Don't forget his solid book column about the Mets.

Had me rolling.

For the record, I'm in my mid-20s and read Royko in the 1990's and never once found him dated.

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Not so, not so Dye. I was reading Royko when I was 8 years old until his death. He was one of the first columnists I ever read. Even at my age as a grade schooler, I understood what he wrote and I was always in tears laughing because it was so damn funny and good. I miss Mike, Slats, and Dr. I.M. Kooky.

Draft saved Draft deleted