1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Royal Wedding

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, May 19, 2018.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I really don’t understand the frenzy for this. Six networks on my DirecTV guide are showing programming related to it. CNN is live all night.

Is it because an American is involved?

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It's like this for every royal wedding. People care about this stuff. Not sure why, but they do.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

No. I don't understand the sensation, but I don't think that's it.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

When you live in flyover country, this shit is gold. They're recording it to watch again, too.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I’m Mr. Flyover Country. But I guess I missed all this when William got hitched.

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it was real big when William got married. Wasn't it televised on ABC, NBC or CBS and some of the cable news channels?

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Harry is now 6th in the line of succession. So essentially the Secretary of Commerce.

Didn't we fight two wars to be rid of this royal family nonsense?

HanSenSE and Stoney like this.
  8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

My wife is sleeping on the couch in the family room and set her alarm for 4 am Pacific to watch the wedding. I said we could record it but she wants to watch it live.

Thankfully our room is across the house and I’m a heavy sleeper

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It was the same 30-plus years ago when Andrew, whose only chance of being king would be if he were far from London when a meteor wiped out the place, married Fergie.

At least this time, an American heathen is involved.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The only thing out of England I’ll be watching in the morning will be the FA Cup final.

Inky_Wretch and HanSenSE like this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A. It's free programming. B. People will watch and companies will pay for ad time.
    It does make me laugh when US media people use "royal experts" who likely know little more about the royal family than they do.
    Or when people refer to "Harry" or "Meghan" like they're besties. Same for people referring to Markle as a TV star. She was a third-tier lead on a cable show.
    That said - I think with all the horribleness in the world, it's a nice story and for watchers of "The Crown" - a sign of how the royal family has evolved that one of them is allowed to marry a divorcee without much of a fuss.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I actually will watch a bit of it, but that’s because I’m a news nerd. I’ll be fascinated in the BBC’s coverage, and I think the BBC’s top anchor is understated yet still commands a presence.

Otherwise, meh.

Draft saved Draft deleted