1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Royal Family

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I just wonder which ancestor of mine pissed someone off in France in the middle ages so they lost their royal titles, and their descendants ended up as farmers in the middle of the U.S.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Interested in the royal family themselves, no. Usually pause to watch some sort of royal procession or whatever, yeah. I'm not catholic, either, but I found the ceremony surrounding the election of a pope interesting. I'm a history geek, so anything that's rooted in centuries of tradition I'll watch.

But as an American, no, I don't bow to any monarch.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

you sonovab....

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

You're such an elitist.

Zack and Cody are an artistic way of studying important socioeconomic patterns in post-modern America in both modern hotels and cruise ships.

And don't get me started on the important work in gender studies done by Hannah Montana or the deep psychological explorations into racial stereotypes involved in Fraggle Rock, The Smurfs and The Muppet Babies.

/Sepinwall'd

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

I've wondered that too. Seriously. I've traced my lineage so far back that I can say with certainty that I'm a 23rd cousin once removed of Queen Elizabeth. And some of my ancestors were, at the least, barons and knights right up until around the middle of the last millennium.

Hell, my first ancestor in America was a colonial governor. It was all downhill after that. :-\

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Question 1) No.

However I am interested in seeing Sir Edward Royal catch at least 10 passes for 100 yards and a touchdown on Monday evening.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Do I care about the royals? I would say I have a passing interest.

I remember being about 8 or so and being surprised at all the attention the Royal wedding got. The day Diana died was the first time I'd really seen a newsroom in chaos since if I remember correctly, she died inbetween our third and our fourth editions on a Saturday night. I was making a rare appearance in the office to wait to have drinks with another writer and one of the editors. They actually ended up getting out early because they didn't go into the sports section for the final edition, which at that paper, was unheard of.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

On one hand, I'm not all that excited, because he's merely getting a driver's license for car he's been putzing around in for quite a few years.

On the other hand, she brings some new blood to the tightly-corseted DNA base of the Royal Family.

On one of my feet, I'm glad that people fought and gave their lives long ago so that I don't have to care much about from which crotch the next royal progeny leaps.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The only way I would be interested in this wedding would be if Reggie Jackson showed up.

10. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I'm counting the nanoseconds till the Franklin Mint comes out with the Will/Kate collectors' plates.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's been awhile since there was a really hot Royal coming out of England.

12. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Back on the day when Chuck and Di got married, the wedding owned the big three networks, preempting the morning shows, the game shows and all the soap operas. Actually, IIRC, it knocked out everything till the evening shows came on.

I can only imagine now, with the groom looking so much like his late mother (fortunately for him), in the 24-hour news cycle era, how bad the coverage is gonna get.

Draft saved Draft deleted