1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Royal Family

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 16, 2010.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Caring about the goings on in the royal family is no more ridiculous than caring whether the gold and black laundry beats the brown and white laundry in football.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Kate looks good when she's shown with William at England's rugby matches.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I was happy when I heard the news this morning. Can't really explain why.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

At least the people wearing the laundry earn their way into that laundry through a meritocracy and serve the purpose of entertaining us.

I have no more (or less) respect for someone in a so-called "royal" family than I do a homeless person. To me, royal families are nothing more than an interesting experiment in inbreeding.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Buncha people famous for being inbred. And people rip on the media for going crazy over Paris Hilton's escapades. It's better than those fools.

6. BTExpress

Not about to get into a debate about which ridiculous pastime is more "earned."

Feeling pain or joy when the Steelers/Cowboys/Giants lose or win is every bit as stupid as caring whom William marries.

If you find value in either, neither or both, more power to you.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

After you brought it up?

8. BTExpress

I said both are equal --- caring about what strangers do that has zero impact on your lives.

To defend one and attack another is disingenuous.

9. Dick Whitman

They are both a form of entertainment.

I don't think all forms of entertainment are inherently equal.

I don't think that "The Suite Life of Zack and Cody" is as good of a television show as "Mad Men."

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'll also remind everyone that Chuck & Di's wedding in 1981 was watched around the world. It's impossible to know what would it would be like in the days of the internet.

11. Dick Whitman

It's odd, because that was in the middle of a very bad U.S. recession, as well. But it seems to have been celebrated. Today, I think that kind of spectacle would create an enormous backlash.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure. Most folks don't consider what it means to be part of royal family, or the notion that some families are somehow better than others. There's a disconnect. To them, royals are just "interesting" celebrities who appear on E! or in People Magazine every week alongside Angelina Jolie, Oprah, Janet Jackson and Octomom.

Oh look! A princess!What a beautiful dress!

Draft saved Draft deleted