1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Rosemont Cubs?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It's an advantage to come from the north. I'll take Pulaski or Kedzie north to the Stevenson, and then head back south on the Dan Ryan, because the line on the Sox exit is much shorter that way.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's just the last couple of blocks that are a pain.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

You can always do what I've done for Cubs games -- if you're driving, park at an edge-of-the-Loop parking garage or lot, and take the train the rest of the way.

4. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

I guess the Yankee Stadium renovation back in the 1970s is sort of the same.

What would be interesting is if the Cubs renovated Wrigley and had to play on the south side for a year.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

One thing I didn't see in the editorial is where is Rosemont getting the 25 acres from? Is it public land or private?

Maybe it's just the cynic in me, but why do I have the feeling either Rosemont is offering to give away public land for free, or close to it, or will try to use the eminient domain option to strong-arm property owners into giving up their land.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Like they did at Chavez Ravine to make way for the Dodgers.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They also used eminent domain in Texas too to build The Ballpark. One of the guys who benefited from it, and not to get too political, is a guy who I'm a frequent critic of on here:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/vol16/issue42/pols.bushstadium.html

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You can park up in Rogers Park for $5 and take the Red Line to either Wrigley or Comiskey. Parking isn't really that big of a problem (though it will be this year when they tear the south side Red Line up).

I went to my first Sox game last year. I think a big part of the problem with attendance is how corporate and sterile the ballpark is. It is has also has the odd segregated seating where if you're in the upper deck there's no access to the lower deck, etc.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

If you sit in the upper deck at Comiskey — and there's no reason to as you can always get lower-level tickets — you deserve to be sequestered and kept away from the rest of the visitors.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

They're not that cheap ... not if you're taking kids.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This. One could also close off the street in back of the park and expand bleacher seating, for starters.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Given the nature of Rosemont, whether the land is technically public or private, the Stephens family (mayoral dynasty) likely has control of the land. If the Stephens family says it has land available for the Cubs, then it does.

Draft saved Draft deleted