1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Rosemont Cubs?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 20, 2013.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The White Sox have opened a bar in U.S. Cellular? Guess it's been a few years since I've been there. But DW and Bob, you're right about the "Comiskey Park" neighborhood -- it's gentrified big time.

Regarding Wrigley Field, I think the biggest problem are those damn rooftop seats, which have become corporate, big-business moneymakers. The Cubs long ago should have added a second deck in outfield just to stick a fork in those leaches. (Yes, I realize they now pay some piss-ante fee to the team).

Are the Cubs really hurting that badly for money that they would consider moving?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Outside of it, attached on 35th Street.

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

What seems to elude you and everyone else saying this idea has no merit whatsoever is what good is Wrigley if Tunney and the rooftop owner douchebags won't let the team make any changes or build up their facilities? The park may have a lot of history, but it's a fucking junkpile that's falling apart. They're willing to completely fund it themselves, but still they're running into roadblocks. Fuck that.

Hey, assholes, want to know why your basic three-flat is worth seven figures? Look across the fucking street and stop being fuckheads. Let the Cubs leave and see what that does to your property values. I hope Tunney drowns in Lake Michigan. Provincial putz.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

As a Sox fan in the southern suburbs, I can give you these reasons why the team can struggle to draw a crowd:

1. They don't have the tourist cache like Wrigley. That would be the biggest thing a Rosemont park would NOT have -- the many people who would go because That's What You Do In Chicago, like going to the Empire State Building in New York.

2. As you noted, the disposable income is lower.

3. In part, that's because the Sox draw comes from people with families. (Hey, Bill Ligue brought his son, remember?) It's not just a function of money available -- it's also time. The biggest sign of that is how attendance craters for midweek games once school goes back.

4. Also, regarding families, the South Side has many large, tight-knit families, the sort where there are all sorts of weddings, graduations, birthdays, etc. over the summer for parents, kids, cousins, school buddies, whoever. If the Sox are doing great, you have an excuse to miss the event (as long as it's not an immediate relative). But if the Sox are at .500, skipping grandma's 75th birthday because the Mariners are in town becomes less defensible.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I think what Uncle Ruckus is saying, translated to something less profane, is that Wrigley is a dump, and that the team owners get all sorts of pushback if they ever try to do ANYTHING to improve it. It's exacerbated by the weird way Chicago does its politics, with aldermen getting an almost dictator-like level of control of projects in their ward (I guess, in exchange for doing whatever the mayor wants, without protest).

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I never understoof why the Cubs couldn't just buy the houses which line the outfield and use those for VIP suites and to place a scoreboard on.

7. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Technically, Emanuel can overrule Tunney. Daley never did because he's a Sox fan. But Emanuel has the authority. I wonder if he'll use it. I doubt it.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Nicely done. :)

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Not only can it be done, Epstein's familiarity with it is a big reason why Ricketts wanted him to run the Cubs.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Parking at Comiskey is expensive, and kind of a pain, but the neighborhood is accessible, and doesn't scare me in the least.

And, you can take the train.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Comiskey is actually one of the more accessible parks around. Very easy to get to from either side of town.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I come from the far NW side when I'm in town and it never takes more than 20 minutes to drive there.

Draft saved Draft deleted