1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Rosemont Cubs?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Marlins and Pirates fans can testify about how a new ballpark means a World Series title.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's an impossible question to answer because "fan" is so vague. I know people who identify as Cubs fans who haven't watched a baseball game in 10 years, and I know people online who quit their jobs and moved to Arizona to scout extended spring training and instructional ball full-time.

The Cubs supposedly commissioned a study two years ago that said that about 1/3rd of their tickets sold went to tourists, if that helps.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Orioles have been in Camden Yards for 20 years with 3 playoff appearances and 14 straight losing seasons. The stadium makes money for the owner, nothing more.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

One more town where the Cubs won't move to:

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Tinley? LOL.

6. RickStain

Ricketts comes out of this whole thing looking so bad in all this. Total amateur hour.

He naively assumed that because he was doing something good for the city (investing in a huge building project), he'd get the rubber stamp. He's finding out that because they don't have to give him permission and leaving Wrigley isn't a real option for him, they are going to extract something extra from him every step of the way.

7. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

I think 25% is a little low. More like a majority of those in attendance at Chewing Gum Park would rather lose than move to a modern facility.

8. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

Fixed.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I'm thinking significantly more than a quarter. The Cubs fans I know could barely conceive of the notion of the Cubs not playing in Wrigley, it's like they wouldn't even be the Cubs anymore.

No other American pro sports franchise has a tighter connection to its stadium and neighborhood (I think the Red Sox/Fenway and Packers/Lambeau are the only two that compare).

10. RickStain

AFAICT, they aren't violating any of their rooftop agreements with the proposals.

Draft saved Draft deleted