1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Roots and Jimmy Fallon????

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RossLT, Feb 25, 2009.

1. RossLT

RossLT Guest

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/pop/401276_roots25.html

As a huge fan of The Roots, I have to admit I was a little surprised and dismayed by this. Jimmy Fallon?? If they are going to be the house band for someone couldn't it be for someone good.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Regular work is regular work. I'm sure Max Weinberg appreciated having the Conan gig when Bruce was touring without the E Street Band.

3. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I thought it was ridiculous too until I read some of these stories coming out. It's actually pretty cool, think about this graf:

There are other upsides, too. The Roots certainly will raise their profile and attract new audiences. They will hold a residency at New York's Highline Ballroom playing weekly shows and will continue working on a new album.

... All the Roots do is tour. I saw them my junior year in college and then again, seven years later, at grad school, in a very small venue. I've seen them at major venues as well in between. I think almost all of them are living in Philly and taking the train. I would bet ?uestlove moves to NYC.

I don't even think you can define them as a house band. It's almost like they just have a residency at the show. And for a group that doesn't sell as many records as they should, this should really make them some jack.

There was a great story in Rolling Stone about the group from last April. No full text alas.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/04/30/inside-the-new-issue-the-dark-funky-origins-of-the-roots/

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Not a fan of Fallon, but you've got to at least give the guy a shot. Having the Roots as a house band can only be a good thing.

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Fallon's off to a good start with this hire. The Roots are terrific.

6. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I agree with what Cousin Jeffrey said, having more people get into The Roots would be a great thing. I have never understood why they are not more popular.

7. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Man, I'm torn about this. I was sad reading that, but at least I'll get to hear them play some new stuff live (although I'll have to watch Jimmy Fallon).

But if they take a long time off touring I may never see them in concert. They are my favorite band, and it's just never worked out that I could see them. Guess I haven't made enough of an effort.

And it should definitely raise their profile, which can only be a good thing. I also don't see how they have continued to fly under the radar with all the great stuff they have done.

For some reason, Ross, your comment reminded me of the Mo' Better Blues quote in the opening to "Things Fall Apart:"
    "... the people don’t come because you grandiose m-----f-----s don’t play shit that they like. If you played the shit that they like, then people would come, simple as that."
    Although that's certainly not true with these guys. Just a fantastic band.

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I am not sure I can sit through Fallon just to see them. I am a huge fan but Fallon is so unfunny that I can't watch Black Thought laughing at monologue jokes that suck.

9. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Yeah, that is true. We'll see. I'll give it a chance. But he does suck, for sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted