1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Rooney Rule

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Tony Dungy, who was with the Indianapolis Colts during the 2006 season when he became the first black coach to win a Super Bowl is among several people who say the Rooney Rule is not working the way it should.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8903044/black-former-nfl-coaches-say-rooney-rule-broken

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It doesn't. It's a nice idea and a nice sentiment, but it's way too easy to work around it.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I agree with Dungy. It was a stab at political correctness trying to make the league look better.

If an owner has decided who he does or does not want to hire, why waste everyone's time going through the process. There are some owners who may not want to hire a minority head coach for that very reason as the head coach often becomes the face of the franchise, especially in the absence of a star player. We wouldn't think of ordering a team to draft or sign someone based on race. Why should a coaching position be any different?

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I understand the reason for the Rooney Rule but how do you tell an owner who to hire as his coach?

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

You can't. Anymore than you can tell him how to pick his roster.

Given that, why the rule in the first place. Surely there are enough qualified minority coaches that some will get interviewed solely on merit, eh?

6. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Yup.

Another chance to refer to my genius of yesteryear!

(can't find the link to Peter King's garbage)

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it's well-intentioned. My biggest issue is when everybody on the planet knows that a team is going after a certain coach and they still have to go through the whole dog and pony show of bringing a guy in for a courtesy interview when they know the guy has no shot at the job.

I would keep the Rooney Rule and expand it to coordinator jobs, but I would also let teams bypass it if they could prove that they already knew who they were going to hire and there was no reason to interview anyone else. I don't think any of the teams this year would have fallen into that category. I'm trying to think of the last time that happened... I remember it was that way when Mariucci went to the Lions and when some of the teams hired college guys.

I don't think any of the teams this year knew who were going to hire when they fired the current coaches.

I also don't understand what all the fuss is about this year. Was it that Horton didn't get a HC job? Was it that Lovie didn't get another job right away?

8. Azrael

Azrael Active Member

The whole point of the Rooney Rule is to introduce owners and general managers to minority coaches and coordinators they might not otherwise meet. Regardless of who they might hire.

And the fuss this year is over the fact that one-quarter of the NFL was hiring for head coaches and not a single minority hire was made.

In a league with a 77% African-American labor constituency.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

From what I've read, Lovie Smith did himself no favors by being a petulant child out the door in Chicago, namely by going into hiding after being fired. I don't think he's made a public comment yet, and supposedly GMs were uniformly unimpressed by that. Hold a press conference. Take a few questions. Be a man. Had he done any of that, supposedly he'd be employed right now.

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

The arguemnt raised against letting teams bypass the Rooney Rule is that just getting interviews for positions leads to more minority hires down the line - eg, if Horton gets interviewed for 3 jobs this year he doesn't get - even if all three teams KNEW they weren't going to hire him - it at least gets his name out there as a hot potential candidate and increases the odds (doesn't guarantee, but increases the odds) that eventually he will get hired.

11. Mizzougrad96

I get that, and I think that's why it needs to be expanded to coordinator jobs, since most of the time, a guy has to be a coordinator before they get a HC job. If there are 64 coordinator jobs in the NFL, I'd be curious how many of those jobs are held by minorities. I'd probably even add "assistant head coaches" to that mix. If there are 80 or so of those jobs, I'd be curious how many are held by minorities.

12. Mizzougrad96

Agreed. And it's a good policy. I think it would have to be a rare case for a team to be allowed to bypass it.

Draft saved Draft deleted