1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Rooney Rule is a joke

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jan 9, 2010.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

What about The Sehorn Rule? Each team Must scout at least 1 white cornerback a draft.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm trying to think if there is a single white cornerback or tailback in the NFL. If there is, I can't think of him.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

There isn't one of either. Only a handful of white safeties as well (with Jim Leonhard being the only really good one), now that guys like John Lynch and Adam Archuleta are no longer in the league.

Peyton Hillis was the Broncos' feature back for a few games in 2008 due to injury, but he's played nothing but fullback this season. I'd imagine Toby Gearhart will get a shot somewhere next season.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Reed Doughty for the Redskins is at least a decent white safety.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think anything that helps people get "into the room" is a good thing. Whether a candidate has a real shot or not, people have a habit of moving around a lot in the league and talking to each other. Say a personnel guy sits in on one of these "Rooney" interviews and is impressed enough down the line to bring the guy in when he's a GM somewhere.
    The Rooney thing is about opportunity. Do some teams abuse it? Sure they do. But I imagine there are plenty of coaches, white, black, Hispanic etc., that would welcome the opportunity to interview for a head coaching job they didn't have a real shot at, just for the chance to meet decision makers and get the chance to push for a better gig.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The kid from Iowa - Brandon Wegher showed some promise as a white TB

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Brian Russell of the Seahawks fulfills two of those words. Can you guess which ones?

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

But it's not just the NFL. The reason there are not more white non-quarterback skill players in the NFL is because there are so few elite ones in college.

Look at the most-recent national champion, for example. On Alabama's entire roster, there was one white scholarship player --- starting linebacker Cory Reamer --- who was not a quarterback, lineman, fullback, tight end or kicker.

Reamer was the only white starter on the defense, and he was a fifth-year senior. The player who will replace him next year will be African-American. There are a couple of back-up type white defensive linemen coming back next year, but it's unlikely Alabama will have a white starting defensive player any time soon.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The Seahawks cut that azz before the start of the season. I think he wound up in Jacksonville (suitable).

Magical Elf Boy Welker has lined up as a tailback, if that counts.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'm still hurting from his time in the purple and gold.

And have you guys forgotten Brian Leonard? People at least say he's a tailback.

11. joe king

joe king Active Member

People forget Welker was a RB in college. I remember watching him at Texas Tech and thinking he could grow up to become Dave Meggett Jr.

12. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I once had a pretty lengthy conversation with a white tailback-turned-fullback in the NFL and it was his theory that white athletes don't stand a chance anymore at becoming a tailback, cornerback or No. 1 wide receiver because they aren't even given a shot from jump street.

Most white tailbacks become fullbacks at some point in their career. Most white corners are converted to safeties. And most white wide receivers are told to bulk up and become tight ends or they become slot guys like Brandon Stokley or Wes Welker.

Of course, the guy also said the same used to exist for black quarterbacks. Most black quarterbacks used to be converted to tailbacks/receivers or cornerbacks.

I'd like to think Gerhart would have a shot at being a white "tailback" in the league, but my guess is some team will draft him and make him a fullback, like every other white tailback drafted in the last 10 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted