1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Room: Best 'worst' movie ever made?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Trey Beamon, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Not sure if it has been discussed, but I saw this on the Yahoo! front page.

The Room, a five-year-old drama, has gained a cult following for its sheer terribleness. Some have called it the best 'worst' movie ever made. From Entertainment Weekly:

The film's so-bad-it's-freakin'-awesome vibe has attracted a devout army of aficionados whose membership includes the cream of Hollywood's comedy community. Role Models star Paul Rudd and Arrested Development's David Cross are both fans, as is Jonah Hill, who uses a still from the movie as his MySpace photograph. Heroes star Kristen Bell hosts Room-viewing parties at her house and last year attended the film's monthly Laemmle screening with Rudd, Hill, and Shaun of the Dead director Edgar Wright. ''There is a magic about that film that is indescribable,'' she says.

Has anyone here seen it? And if so, does it live up to the, uh, hype?
  2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I've never seen it, but I have a friend who loves it.

Speaking of cult classic comedies. Has anyone here seen Hamlet 2? I saw it a couple months and thought it was awesome.
  3. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Beamon,

ABC's overnight news show had a feature on it. They caught Alec Baldwin at a screening. It's a Rocky Horror scene--kids shouting out lines of dialogue, throwing stuff at the screen. Off the clips and the accounts, it looks excruciatingly bad. I dunno. I'm a Plan 9 guy. Supposedly a sequel is in the works.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The funniest thing about this for me is how this managed to slip into the 'mainstream'.

Some of you may have heard of a show called 'Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job'. It airs on Adult Swim, Cartoon Network's late-night block.

Anyway, Tim and Eric did an episode where they called 'The Room' one of their favorite movies, and got Tommy Wiseau to be a 'special guest director'.

The thing was a complete set-up, at least that's the way it seemed to me, and Wiseau was just terrible.

Anyway, April 1 rolls around, and AS shows the entire movie at midnight as their special April Fool's day programming. It is truly, truly awful.

And since then, this has started to take an even greater hold to where EW and ABC News have picked up the story.
  6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm also a big Plan 9 guy. Funny - it's widely considered the worst film of all time, but it's by far the best thing Ed Wood ever made. Just try sitting through "Glen or Glenda?" some time.
  7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

My top-five "good" bad movies:

1. Roadhouse ("I thought you'd be bigger," however, should make the top-100 movie lines).
    2. Meatballs (Bill Murray chased the ugliest girl in the movie)
    3. Starship Troopers (coed shower scene was worth it)
    4. Hellfighters (Maybe John Wayne's worst movie -- okay, forgot about the one where he played Gengis Kahn ... but Katharine Ross looked stunning and was a feisty little girl. Plus, things get blown up).
    5. High Plains Drifter (absurd on many levels, not the least of which is that the only one in the damn town who finally recognized the guy who used to be THEIR US MARSHAL!!! was the little midget, in the final scene. But Clint had a lot of good lines).
  8. jlee

jlee Active Member

Dang. Not on Netflix -- even by mail. Oh well, "Fist of Fear: Touch of Death" and "Riki-Oh!" are bad enough for me.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've got to give it to American Anthem. Don't know what it is about that movie, maybe the weird "Phantom of the Opera" subplot involving the guy who was injured who creates Janet Jones' floor routine music, the overwrought PA announcer, the father-son relationship between Mitch Gaylord and his dad...it's just really bad, and yet, hard to resist.
    "He's doing a triple!!!"
  10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I completely distrust anything that gets cult status for being so-bad-it's-good. You want to get into that, douchebag in the ABC story who stood in line because everyone else was? Listen to every minute of Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music" WITHOUT taking any mind-altering chemicals first.
  11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

hondo's right. Roadhouse will forever be the best bad movie ever made.

Pain don't hurt.
  12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

At least something like Roadhouse is a little more interestingly bad because it's a big Hollywood movie with a real budget and actors you've heard of, who proved elsewhere they had some clue as to what they're doing.

Some schmuck who happened to make a bad movie full of bad actors no one ever has heard of isn't interesting. Anybody can do that. It takes a special set of rank circumstances to make, say, "Ishtar." I'm not saying I'm gonna watch it, but it's a more interesting failure.

The movie I want to watch is how this Tommy Wisseau conned investors out of $6 million, investors who surely have to be breathing an incredible sigh of relief now that it appears they have a hope of getting their money back. Did he screw old ladies or something?
Draft saved Draft deleted