1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Romney VP Pick -- Paul Ryan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Aug 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A very fair point.

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I'm sure Paul Ryan is orders of magnitude smarter than Sarah Palin, but now neither he nor Romney has foreign policy experience. Ryan has never faced more than the 670,000 voters in his district. And his only private sector experience is a few months as a marketing consultant right after college. He's been in politics ever since. Good luck with the community organizer attacks, Willard. Your VP candidate, the economic expert, has only worked in the private sector for a few months of his entire life.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Ryan's Wikipedia entry made me LOL:

4. Woo hooo! Paul Ryan!!!

I'm getting an erection picturing Obama / Biden trying to debate economic issues without a teleprompter with Paul Ryan and Mitt Romney!!

Making the Paul Ryan budget an issue is going to backfire so bad on Obama. How can he complain about Ryan's budget when the Democrats were so scared by it that they wouldn't allow it to be voted on in the Senate? How can they complain about the Ryan budget when Obama hasn't had a budget since he's been President? How can they complain about it when Obama sent a budget to Congress that was so unrealistic that it didn't get a single vote?

Get the popcorn ready bitches!

5. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Are you sure it is an erection? Ryan drover the Oscar Meyer wiener mobile for a while.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This is a win-win for me. A. I get to look at Paul Ryan for 2.5 months. B. I feel absolutely no urge to vote for that ticket.

I like his fiscal conservative basis. I'm not crazy about all of it (like Medicare) but at least he's not going to embarrass the ticket. That's Mitt's job.

Also: heygirlitspaulryan.tumblr.com

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

In many ways history is just repeating itself.
    In 2008, the race was pretty much Obama's to lose. The anti-George W Bush sentiment had reached such a point that the Democrats could have nominated a monkey and won (no racial inference, just a saying).

McCain had to gamble on a VP pick. He did and it didn't amount to much, other than to put Sarah Palin in the spotlight more than McCain himself. I chuckle at the memory of all these reporters standing around outside a campaign stop punching their blackberries trying to figure out "Who is this person? The governor of where?... Alaska? Has he lost his mind?"

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Romney didn't make this pick. The Wall Street Journal and the Weekly Standard made this pick. They threatened Romney with the dread "not a real conservative" label and that was that.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Probably. Sort of like McCain/Palin in 2008.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

According to NBC, Romney had his son Tagg call the not-nominees with the bad news. That's a real dick move there.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Tagg, you're not it!

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Tagg Romney
    Managing Partner
    Tagg founded Solamere Capital with Eric Scheuermann and Spencer Zwick. Tagg has held a variety of operating and entrepreneurial positions. His operating experience includes serving as Chief Marketing Officer for the Los Angeles Dodgers, VP of onfield marketing at Reebok, and Director of Strategic Planning at Elan Pharmaceuticals. Tagg founded and subsequently sold Season Perks, a company that provided value-added private label online services (such as a secondary ticketing platform) for professional sports teams. Tagg worked for each of his father's three political campaigns (Romney for Senate, Romney for Governor, and Romney for President). He also worked for several years as a consultant, including time at both Monitor Group and McKinsey and Co. Tagg graduated magna cum laude with a BA in Economics from Brigham Young University and earned his MBA from Harvard Business School. Tagg and his wife Jennifer live in Belmont, MA and have three children.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.