1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Romenesko lemmings

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YorksArcades, Nov 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

Another person who can't figure out the difference between the aggregator and the original source (who's a Fruit Loop, but not an aggregator).

EDIT: To be fair, that last person acknowledged the difference once it was pointed out.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

At least Romenesko is not as much of a bore as Jim Hopkins.

3. YorksArcades

I'd say this is a decent, if not comprehensive, cross-section. I'd like to finish lunch, so I'll take a break from this.

4. YorksArcades

Funny you should mention him. There were people who called for him to investigate things, too. To be fair, I think Jim H. did choose to FOIA things a couple of times, whereas Romenesko chooses to use the "When did you start beating your wife?" tack to try to bully places into responding, or he simply runs one side of an issue without bothering to get the other.

Then the lemmings run with/RT/Facebook the one-sided take. Wow, another issue that should have been in the original post!

5. YorksArcades

Also, perhaps now that Romenesko is "semi-retired," the previous post could say "chose to use."

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's crazy. Journalists should know better.

Media coaches/editors care much more about aggregating than ... what was the other thing you mentioned?

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Marry, Fuck, Kill:

Romensko's lemmings
    the SEC narrative
    ISIS

8. YorksArcades

Well, I'd have to kill ISIS.

From there, I guess it's a question of whether the narrative or the lemmings could be tolerated long-term.

9. spadjo martin

spadjo martin Member

I should have stopped reading this thread after one or two posts. Complete waste of time. I thought eventually it would dive into something thought provoking. I was wrong.

10. YorksArcades

Well, of course not. First I had to mine a bunch of Twitter posts that were mind-numbing the first time around because Ragu was too lazy/inefficient to find them.

Then it got jacked, which was to be expected.

What would you consider to be "thought provoking?"

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Welcome to SJ.com, spadjo!

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Your random tweets didn't demonstrate your "lemmings" characterization. Romenesko had a blog that had a bit of a following. Of course you can find random tweets from people that mention him and his blog over time. ... and some of those people actually liked his blog. *gasp* So what? The basis for your thread was a bunch of generalizations and hyperbolic characterizations about lemmings worshipping Romenesko. With kind of a nasty tone to it.

You actually posted tweets from people congratulating him on announcing his semi-retirement, thinking it made a negative statement about the people who tweeted them. Normal people don't see that.

Lazy and inefficient would be someone who takes drive by shots on an anonymous message board (and Romenesko retired his blog a while ago; this thread was so random and gratuitous) with no purpose other than to just take some lame shots. As I said, if there was something specific about Romensko or his readers that warranted a thread today with the hyperbolic characterizations and lame generalization about "today's journalists, (that monolithic entity)" you haven't made much of a case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.