1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Rolling Stones

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Nah.

IMO "R9" actually works well as part of the side IV "slumber medley" which begins with a brassy sugar buzz with "Savoy Truffle," then a psychedelic Lennon-land bedtime fable in "Cry Baby Cry," then a nightmarish semi-dreaming interlude with spectral sound effects, broken spooky voices and mysterious snippets of songs buried deep in the subconscious. Finally as the child drifts toward a fitful sleep, Uncle Ringo comes in and shuts off the light with "Good Night."

"Revolution No. 9" is actually kinda cool to have come on the stereo in the wee wee midnight hours.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

"Revolution No. 9" also is a seminal track in the noise and experimental genres.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You certainly can't dance to it and I would hardly ever listen to it in the daytime when you're actually paying attention to lyrics and stuff, but as spooky trippy late-night background noise it's pretty cool.

I've actually had a few weird/scary super-surreal dreams when I fall asleep late at night with the music player on random loop and "R9" comes on and suggests some kind of bizarre dystopian post-apocalyptic world while I'm drowsing halfway between consciousness and REM.

Nothing really Manson-like but you can tell where the crazy fucker got some of his ideas. Sometimes, when you become naked ...

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Cry for help?

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

"A Taste of Honey" is a pretty decent song, actually.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Was pondering this as I drove home from work last night. Yes, an SJ thread that took my space in my brain on a commute.

I feel the same way about Springsteen that the OP feels about the Stones.

For all the hype and the accolades, I just never felt the "it" with Springsteen. Perhaps I was too young for his first 70's wave and I was 10 when "Dancing in the Dark" came out - a song that, frankly, sounds like many other "synthed" songs from 1984. Yet people were going apeshit about Springsteen's return and I was like, "how is this any different than anything else out there?"

So, for the Springsteen gurus out there, give me a place to start and I'll give it a shot.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'd try the "Born to Run" album. If it doesn't work for you, I doubt any of his stuff will.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Exile On Main Street takes some work, but if you really listen to it a few times, you realize what a great record it is. A lot of nuances, a very versatile record, and the last song, Soul Survivor, is one of the great unheralded Stones songs ever.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Darkness on the Edge of Town is more stripped down and possibly more to your taste.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Tunnel of Love last one that I listen to on regular basis. That was 25 years ago.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Dire Straits had some great songs but Tunnel of Love might be my favorite.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Beatles are a great band, but a little too cookie cutter for me to call them the GOAT. The Stones songs are just iconic.

If my grandmother or mother are in the room, I put on the Beatles. If I want to drink some beer and have some shots with my friends, it's the Stones.

Brown Sugar, Gimme Shelter, Sympathy for the Devil, Tumbling Dice, Satisfaction, Get What You Want/Need...

Draft saved Draft deleted