1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Rolling Stones

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I have immense respect for them and really like a handful of their songs. But so many are misses to me. I gave Exile on Main Street yet another try today, and nothing. I've heard all of their pre-1980 studio albums. I love "Gimme Shelter" and "Paint It Black."

But mostly, I can't get into them. Mick Jagger toggles between boring and grating me. They sound dated in a way The Beatles, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Cream, Neil Young and other contemporaries don't.

Anyone else in this boat? Anyone else feel this way about a universally adored and respected band?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No.

You suck.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

This right here. The Stones are the GOAT.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

But maybe the Rolling Stones suck.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

How Keith Richards still walks this earth remains a mystery.

I also love The Rolling Stones.

Charlie Watts and Keith Richards have been the coolest guys in the room for over 40 years.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Can't You Hear Me Knocking ... one of my favorite songs ever. But I can get where you're coming from. I have a lot of Stones on my Spotify classic rock playlist, but I find myself skipping past them sometimes. Just not in the mood, I guess.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Is there an album after Some Girls you would listen to?

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I feel similarly, Verse. Gimme Shelter and Sympathy for the Devil are two of my favorite rock songs ever. But I've tried Exile quite a few times and it's never stuck with me.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Least surprising response in the recent history of this board.

Next perhaps Mr. Whitman will again show how little he knows about the Stones' contemporaries.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Dick Whitman likes to dabble in music. Let him have his fun.

Dick Whitman, I also am not a fan of Soundgarden.

11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I just had this conversation with my wife two nights ago. Out of the blue, I said, "I know I'm in the minority, but I would take the Rolling Stones 10 times out of 10 against the Beatles."

I'm a guitar player (albeit not a very good one), and Keith Richards is the master of the riff. Can't You Hear Me Knockin' is my ring tone, and for my money, the greatest riff that's ever been written. The list of songs that are great just go on and on: Gimme Shelter, Ruby Tuesday, Wild Horses, Brown Sugar, Under My Thumb, Start Me Up, Honky Tonk Women, Satisfaction, Paint it Black ... and I'm sure there's more, that's just off the top of my head.

And the best part of the Rolling Stones is that Keith Richards continued to play despite the fact he's actually been dead for two decades.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Huge Stones mark here, Exile is probably my fave album by anybody.

Draft saved Draft deleted