1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The role of a food critic

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, May 25, 2017.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's still there, but he used to have a sandwich place on the little Riverwalk area there. It was about the best $8 lunch you could imagine.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Bronco77 and spikechiquet like this.
  3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

"Millennial consumers are more attracted than their elders to cooking at home, ordering delivery from restaurants, and eating quickly, in fast-casual or quick-serve restaurants good food."

Fixed.

Bronco77 likes this.
  4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

"The table near the window complained about their food."
    "The customer is always right."
    "But, sir, they're...MILLENNIALS."
    "Never mind. The customer is 100 percent wrong, and I hate them with all my heart."

dixiehack likes this.
  5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

When a guy at my office went to the Noma in Denmark or wherever the fuck it is, it was the talk of the office for like three weeks. I'm surprised they didn't carry him off on their shoulders from work after he got back.

So, yeah, among the foodie idiots who read the NYT, I'm sure this was extremely notable.

Jake_Taylor and lcjjdnh like this.
  6. Dick Whitman

I've been in enough press boxes in my time to pretty confidently say that, between restaurants and the sports writers critiquing them, the restaurants aren't the ones getting the serving sizes wrong.

Hermes, I Should Coco and doctorquant like this.
  7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

meanwhile, foodie is an irksome word...

8. Dick Whitman

I honestly felt like I was supposed to send the guy a "congratulations" card or something.

CD Boogie likes this.
  9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Of all the inane terms and phrases that have popped up recently, "foodie" is definitely one of the worst, in my opinion.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's not a great story, but I don't quite agree with your takeaway.

What would adapting look like? Converting restaurants to get rid of waiters so people don't have to tip? Condensing the menu so it mirrors Five Guys? Moving to a Blue Apron system?

At some point, it's not really adapting. It's a different thing entirely, and giving it an entirely different name.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Serving better food?

Bronco77 and Dick Whitman like this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Take Red Robin. I like a chicken sandwich a couple times a month. I'll take Red Robin's fried chicken sandwich and fries over chik fil a every day. It's a much better chicken sandwich. They're better fries, too.

But I gotta sit down at Red Robin, I gotta wait for someone to serve me, I gotta tip that person, I gotta ask for the fries thrice because Red Robin waiters constantly forget to bring one basket and I gotta deal with some kid screaming about his balloon that floated to the top of the restaurant.

So I don't go to Red Robin. I am not a millennial

studthug12 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted