1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Rockets have won 19 in a row. Why don't you care?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnoopyBoy, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Hey, 4.5 billion people cared until Yao went down with his injury.

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

Why don't I care?

They could win 25 in a row, and be out of the playoffs in the first round against Denver.

Yao out......they rely on Dikembe Mutombo.

Yes....that Dikembe Mutombo.

It's one thing to kick the hell out of Washington, the Knicks, the Sonics and the Bobcats night after night.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Who wants to sex Mutumbo?

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

One of the big reasons I'd think is that they're still so far away from the all-time winning streak record. If they do get the second-longest streak, it's impressive, but who remembers second-longest winning streaks in any sport? If the Lakers in 72 had won, say, 23 in a row, there'd certainly be a big buildup. But 33 remains so unfathomable, that it's tough to get worked up over it beyond the "it's an impressive run, especially without Yao" mentality. Plus, as others have said, few consider them any kind of threat in the playoffs, it's more like a novelty.

I also think it's going to end tomorrow in Atlanta. The Hawks can light up the scoreboard, and Houston's really been dominating teams that are pretty weak offensively. On the road...I see the Rockets falling tomorrow. If they do win, they have one more game - home against Charlotte - before they'd face the Lakers next Sunday.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not to make more of the streak than I should, but they have beaten a couple of pretty good teams during this stretch.

6. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

because the casual fan eats up what the basketball talking heads say without even thinking about it. I laugh at someone who suggests the Rockets would fall to Denver in the playoffs (of course, Denver isn't making the playoffs). Houston just got done dominating Denver. They're 2-1 against them during the season, with two dominating wins (14 and 28 points) and a loss by 1 point. Last year the Rockets were 2-1 against the Nugs. The year before, when Houston stunk? 2-2. Melo's 1st season? 2-1. BUT T-MAC HASN'T MADE IT OUT OF THE FIRST ROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, we cared enough this morning to put the story on the front page.

And NBA regular-season games never get on our front.

So I guess it has engaged our imaginations at least a little.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

1. It's the NBA...

2. It's the regular season...

3. It's happening in Houston...

If the Knicks or Lakers were doing this, it would be leading SportsCenter every night...

But nobody cares and nobody should care...

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

19 in a row in todays game is discounted.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Because the Patriots proved that winning steaks mean nothing until you've won a title.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Pats would have been happy with 19 in a row...

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

You may think nobody cares, but I would beg to differ. A lot of people just don't know what kind of stock to put into this streak.

Draft saved Draft deleted