1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"the rock" obama -- snl 3/8

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I think they must be copyrighted or something. At some point somebody on the show (don't remember who or in what skit, but The Rock was in it) said something 'smelled' and I thought for sure that was a prelude to some kind of play on his old catchphrase, but alas.... nothing.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Again, it's the same story. As bad as some people think a particular bit is, there's somebody else who thinks it rocked.

Yes, there is a lesson there.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

and it would be?

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Just that ... Oh, forget it.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Shotglass sucks and is not funny and anyone who argues with me is stupid and sucky and unfunny, too. There. :D

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Didn't spot her as Jessica Biel watching live, but no arguments now.

They need more skits that are shorter. The Hawaii bit would have been fine at 90 seconds. Just gets redundant and played out. Same with Activia deal. I'm completely over McGruber. They don't have many memorable recurring characters, so they have to bleed what they have bone-dry.

And Seth Meyers' batting average on Update is right around a Leno monologue. His bad ones make me worry about what the hell is actually getting shot down from the writers there ...

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There are people on the show who are good, but Forte is dreadfully unfunny.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I like MacGruber. Don't really know why ...
    I was more upset about no digitial short - those things have been gold.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I haven't watched SNL in about fifteen years. By the sounds of things, not a bad decision
    Besides, it's SOOOOOOOOOOOOO late and us old guys need our sleep. :)

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The only reason to watch this season was Fey doing Palin.

Since we're not going to see that impression ever again, there's really no reason to watch again unless Alec Baldwin or someone good is hosting.

The Rock is pretty solid on these shows, but it was like having Ben Roethlisberger being surrounded by the Detroit Lions.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Ah, it's just a function of how much you feel put out by some clunker bits. Are you willing to root through the crap to see the occasional gem of a sketch?

And for me, it's the same thing I've said before ... it's still better than any other TV option I can see at 11:30 p.m. on a Saturday night. Well, maybe the last 60 minutes.

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I don't really see a lot of SNL, but put me down for liking McGruber too. There usually funny, and at least they don't drag out.

Draft saved Draft deleted