1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The road to Omaha

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, May 31, 2010.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Haven't seen a college baseball thread yet, so I'll start one and climb up on Mt. Pious right away for a rant.

What does the committee have against Virginia? This is the second year in a row the Cavs have been put in a worse position than they deserve.

Last year, they got sent to Irvine to play three California teams and drew Stephen Strasburg in the opener. This year, after being ranked No. 1 all year long, they're bumped down to the FIFTH seed? Behind Coastal Carolina, a team with 11 fewer top 25 wins? Hell, a team that only played three games against top 25 teams? A team that Virginia beat head-to-head? That's a better seed? Preposterous. And they get one of the best non-seeded teams in Drew Pomeranz and Ole Miss.

The general consensus is that Texas, Arizona State and UVa have been the top three teams all year long. Two of those teams were the top two seeds - Texas gets the top overall seed despite not winning a game in the Big 12 tournament - and UVa gets the shaft. Granted, it could work out well if the Cavs can win the regional - if chalk holds, they get Oklahoma, the weakest of the seeds, in the super. But it's still insulting.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

How are those baseball bracket pools going?

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Virginia gets sent across the country ... complain.
    Virginia is a No. 1 bracket seed, playing at home ... complain.
    What's the common denominator? Virginia finds something to complain about.
    You're playing at home. STFU.

If you have to complain about something, I'd agree that eight Pac-10 teams making the tournament is absurd. Oregon State was in eighth or ninth place all season.
    I also wonder why LSU is not a host. UCLA and UC Irvine might have legit complaints about LSU being sent here.

4. Big Circus

Oregon State gets a lifetime pass to the tournament because of this:

It's not a gigantic deal what happened to UVa - like I said, if they get out of the regional, it could work in their favor. It's just strange that the team that was at the top of the rankings all year long gets bumped down for one loss when Texas can lose three in a row and move up.

5. Big Circus

Also agreed on LSU. That's the death regional this year.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

LSU lost 12 of its last 15 SEC games in the regular season and finished eighth. That's not a host team, even with a 4-0 record to win the SEC tournament.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I agree with you that Virginia fans are always complaining about something. I share a bed with one of the worst offenders. But the Cavs being the No. 5 seed is pretty hard to figure out.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I thought it was all about the money. They draw, they host.
    But I get your point. I just saw they won the SEC Tournament. To be honest, I wasn't up on their regular season.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

First-time ever, while 8 or 9 ACC, Big 12 and SEC teams have sometimes made the tournament, despite not having the Pac-10's Omaha track record. Big West, WCC and WAC were one-bid leagues this year, pac-10 picked up the slack.

Oregon State won 20 of its first 26 and 10 of its last 15, had an RPI of 25, won seven games against RPI top 30 teams in the final three weeks, and played a solid nonconference schedule.

Oregon State finished seventh in the Pac-10. North Carolina didn't even finish in the top 8 to make the ACC tournament, played no one in nonconference, yet no one bats an eyelash when it gets invited.

10. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

i'm a virginia fan, and i'm completely fine with the way things shook out. not like last year, which was the region of death. just win and eventually they'll get respect...

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Big West got 2 -- Fullerton and Irvine.

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I know Minny got in by beating Iowa for the B10 tourney.

Did Michigan get in too?

Draft saved Draft deleted