1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Road to Omaha: NCAA Baseball Tournament Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rumpleforeskin, May 24, 2009.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Strasburg taking the hill tonight, per AP.

2. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

All I can say is ... "wow."

Southern Miss defeats Elon 17-15 in a game that featured 11 home runs, including 3 by Bennett Davis of Elon. Southern blew an 8-0 lead and was down 13-12 going into the top of the ninth.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

PING!

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Clemson scores two in the bottom of the ninth to beat Tennessee Tech, 4-3, and postpone its annual bedshitting for a day or two.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Down goes Strasburg, down goes Strasburg ...

IRVINE, Calif. – Phil Gosselin’s first inning home run off of San Diego State’s Stephen
    Strasburg gave No. 7 Virginia a lead the Cavaliers would never relinquish in a 5-1
    victory.
    San Diego State (40-22) ace Stephen Strasburg entered the game with a 13-0 record,
    and while he added to his NCAA-best strikeout total of 180 with 15 more strikeouts
    Saturday, he allowed five hits over the first two innings to Cavalier hitters as Virginia (44-
    12-1) moved out to an early lead.
    With the game in the national spotlight due to Strasburg, it was Virginia’s Robert Morey
    who shined. The sophomore from Virginia Beach, Va., pitched six scoreless innings,
    scattering five hits and striking out nine batters to pick up his third win of the year,
    improving his record to 3-0.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Part of me thinks that sucks.

Then I remember how much he's going to be paid by being the No. 1 pick in the draft ...

7. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

I went to the Georgia Tech/Georgia State game, which was great until the home plate ump decided he wanted to be the star.

Georgia State was up 3-1 going to the bottom of the fifth, and was playing fantastic...timely hitting, amazing defense and a pitcher who wasn't afraid to test the Tech hitters.

Sure enough, the home plate ump shrunk the strike zone to near nothing, and after giving up one run and loading the bases (on one hit), Tech hit a grand slam and that was it.

I just think that Tech is a shell of what they used to be. Their teams just aren't nearly as good as the ones in the 90s, but no one there wants to admit it.

I was able to watch the bottom of the ninth in that game, but I wish I had gotten there earlier.
    The scoreboard was ridiculous - both teams had leads, then gave them up, got it again and blew it again.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Has Georgia finished scoring on Ohio State yet?

And yes, that could be a football season question too...

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Good games in the Austin Regional today. Texas got by Army 3-1 and Texas State blew a 5-2 lead in the top of the ninth and lost 8-7. Texas vs. Boston College in the winner's bracket at 6, Texas State vs. Army at noon and the loser goes home.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yesterday Ohio State showed everybody exactly why that is so.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Shame on micro for leaving Baylor out of the 2005 field in Omaha. He was there! I sat next to him! Bad, bad micro!

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Wow, indeed.

Elon rolling its bats was already known, but maybe they had good reason.

Draft saved Draft deleted