1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Road to Omaha: 2018 College Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jun 1, 2018.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Remember, Oregon dropped baseball after the 1981 season, only to reinstate it in 2009.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It would be impressive especially considering Game 1 is on Friday -- with an 11 a.m. first pitch. Yes, 11 freaking a.m.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And Oregon State plays at 2 p.m. PST? While Mississippi State and Vanderbilt are playing at night?
    Did the West Coast schools complain about always having to play late games or something? That makes no sense at all.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Those dedicated 4,000 will probably be a rabid several hundred at 11 a.m. on Friday. School will have been out for 4 weeks, so they won't even get any of the students who happen to wander by wondering what all the shouting is about.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

MTM and Donny in his element like this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So how exactly does home field advantage work for the super regionals?
    Mississippi State and Vanderbilt are playing in Nashville, but Mississippi State is the home team for Game 1. I think they flip a coin to see who is the home team in Game 3, but do they do it for Game 1 as well? It makes no difference in the grand scheme of things, I suppose, since they each take a turn as the home team the first two games regardless, but I'm not sure I've ever seen the visitors get that distinction in Game 1.

7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Casey Mize vs. Brady Singer, noon Saturday, ESPN. Singer won the first meeting, and the second. Mize got his ass kicked .

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's the way the schedule is laid out every year, but it's always absurd when a team clinches a spot in the CWS before two super regionals have even started Game 1.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Vandy-Mississippi St. (ESPN2) and Fullerton-Washington (ESPNU) both in extra innings with a trip to Omaha on the line.

Fullerton just went up in the top of the 10th on a HR as I’m typing this

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Washington earns its first trip to Omaha.

Huskies led 3-1 in the ninth, Fullerton scored three in the top to go up 4-3, but Huskies tied it in the bottom. Fullerton got an HR in top 10 but its defense fell apart and Washington scored two in the bottom to win it

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Not a good Fullerton team. Washington played very well in the second half of the season after it got healthy. Two of four Pac-12 teams advance, both from the old Northern Division that the old Six-Pack refused to play for so many years.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Mississippi State and Vandy has been wild, too. State scored three in the top of the ninth, then Vanderbilt hit two home runs in the bottom half to tie it.
    That's after the first two games were both won on walk off home runs.
    Top of the 11th now and State is threatening.

Draft saved Draft deleted