1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Road to Omaha: 2018 College Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's tournament time and I know we've got some college baseball fans on the board, so I figured it was time to start a thread.
    The ACC is floundering (North Carolina State and Duke lost today, while Clemson and Florida State are in trouble late), and the SEC is 7-1 with two games rained out.

Oh, and Ole Miss' field looks like the baseball stadium at Atlantis University.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Am I reading things right? The vaunted ACC has already lost three?

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Traditional "West Coast always gets screwed" post. And we return to regular programming.

MileHigh and Batman like this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yep. And a fourth, Clemson, is in extra innings against Morehead State. Two of the three to lose were regional hosts and top-16 seeds (Florida State, N.C. State). Clemson is a top-16 seed as well. The ACC shitting the bed is nothing new, but they're doing it on fast forward this year.

EDIT: Clemson pulled it out in the 10th. Upset watch shifts to the West Coast, where No. 2 national seed Stanford is tied in the eighth with Wright State.
    Lots of top teams struggling in their openers. Even some of the ones that managed to win.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Stanford wins 4-3 in 13, Plays Fullerton Saturday night at 8 PT.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Pretty lousy this year. If Duke is among the best teams -- and the Devils are about to go belly-up -- it can't be a good league.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It's not football, and it's not basketball. You get yourself a couple of starters who can keep you in ballgames, and second-level conference teams can play with the names here. I'd put money on, say, a Stetson or a Coastal Carolina as much as I would the heavyweights. In tournament play, mind you, as opposed to a four-game weekend series.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Not so fast my friend. My goodness, that has to be about as bad as a beat as I've ever seen. Up 8-4 in the 9th and you lose by seven? Ouch.

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Big, fat guy for CS Fullerton (freshman Jace Chamberlain) pinch hits, bottom of ninth, two outs, none on, 1-1 tie. Hits first career home run off the scoreboard in right field. Titans beat Stanford, 2-1.

MileHigh likes this.
  11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

CSUF, constant CWS participant, Big West champion, and only a three seed. Let's put the champions of the two top West Coast leagues in the same regional. Gotta love the NCAA.

poindexter and MileHigh like this.
  12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That's the thing about college baseball. Unlike any other sport, postseason in this event can feature people -- mainly pitchers in blowouts -- who haven't played in weeks.

Draft saved Draft deleted