1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Rise and Fall of A Rod

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Good story. But ... more than a few typos along the way, including this biggie:

At 31, he became the fastest man to 500 homers. There seemed almost no doubt at all that he would soon hold the home run record himself. He hit 35 more homers the next year, then 30, then 30 more to surpass 600 homers. Yes, people could deny him his respect. They could deny him the affection and admiration he seemed to hunger for. They could deny him the standing ovations and love. But, no, they could deny the brute power of what he did on the baseball diamond.

All that momentum building up to the final sentence, and then a crucial word is missing: But, no, they could not deny the brute power of what he did on the baseball diamond.

Maybe eight or 10 mistakes throughout.
    Did NBC lay off all the copy editors, too?

Still liked the story a lot. Glad that someone finally wrote it.

2. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

The article purported to tell how ARod went from greatest shortstop ever to one of the most ridiculed figures in sports. Instead, it was just a rehash of stories we already knew. Posnanski has been a baseball writer for 20+ years, surely there are some stories he could tell that would give some insight.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Those are the stories he should've told.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've heard with him that it happens pretty quick.

5. beanpole

beanpole Member

If you don't think it's interesting, why post it?

C'mon. Jetes wouldn't waste our time like that.

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Like most of Manky's posts.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

True but it did take me back to a time when I was first introduced to him and he was a nice kid. To see what he has become, well I never figured it to happen this way. He simply got caught up being A-Rod.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i can't stop thinking about the line from silence of the lambs.

Draft saved Draft deleted