1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Rings of Power running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 2, 2022.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Feels like we’re going to need it. Spoilers for Amazon Prime’s new Lord of the Rings prequel will abound eventually (but not here yet), so if you don’t want to be spoiled don’t read further.

I enjoyed the first episode. Haven’t seen the second yet, probably won’t until tomorrow.

The knee-jerk reaction is to compare it to The Wheel Of Time, Prime’s other fantasy series based on a long-running series of novels. I thought The Rings Of Power launched better, and not just due to the much higher effects budget and the New Zealand locations. The script and acting were a notch above what I saw in Wheel, and the showrunners of Rings did a better job introducing their protagonists.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Oh no, not another Ted Cruz basketball thread .......

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I can’t wait for the “I hate everything that isn’t the original” nerds to rip this to shreds. It’s pretty good. Solid group of actors telling a solid story. This has the same problem every LOTR movie/series suffers from: The needlessly complicated dramatic prose. But sun can’t wait to see this out.

4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Finally watched. I like it. Only have a vague notion of the story line, so not upset by any casting or events.

It feels different than the Jackson movies, which I kind of like.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The fact that no one posts in this thread is a barometer for the show.
    I'm not getting into it and nearly stopped watching mid way through the most recent episode.
    I'm not a big fantasy fan but do like LOTR. With the exception of a couple of names, I have no connection or knowledge of any of this stuff. Change those names, and I'd have no interest at all.

6. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I'm a huge LOTR fan, but Ring of Power just hasn't bubbled to the top of our watch list yet (lots of shows to catch up on!)

7. Spartan Squad

This is supposed to be the Silmarillion but they don't have the rights to it so they are telling a different story with similar characters. I find it entertaining enough to watch each week and Mrs. Highlander-Spartan is finding the story to be compelling enough that we make a point to watch it together (rather than one of us turning it on while falling asleep or when the other goes to bed early). But it isn't so interesting I want to get on my soapbox for it.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I really want to like this series. I really do…it’s just not catching me. I may have to binge it.

Driftwood likes this.
  9. 2muchcoffeeman

If you've been sleeping on this series, go back and watch the last two episodes.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  10. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I'm a Lord of the Rings nerd, and the whacky This-Isn't-Actually-Tolkien story line hurts my very soul. So I want to like the show, but I get so bitter at it.

My girl is the opposite. She doesn't know Middle Earth beyond what the movies have told her, and she likes the show.

11. Spartan Squad

One of the things my wife pointed out regardless of this is the Silmarillion, we know where they’re going and it makes the struggle that much sadder.

Apart from Mt Doom going Pompey but people magically surviving the blast, the rise of Mordor was pretty cool.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

Tolkien intended the Silmarillion to be a collection of mythology written by many authors and redacted/edited by one (fictional, obv) editor. Much like GRRM's Fire & Blood, this opens the door in terms of interpretation, opens the door to "incorrect" information being accepted as "fact," and leaves in question what the facts actually were. It was never intended to be "correct" or any sort of "final word." The story we're getting in Rings of Power absolutely fits within that interpretation.

Justin_Rice likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted