1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ringer is Live

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HappyCurmudgeon, Jun 1, 2016.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

A lot more for a lot more. Impressive workforce he's got there, in quality and quantity. I think they're still hiring for a few spots, too.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The design is shitty. Looks like that site you go to when you click on 'paid content' links at the bottom of news websites. It is like the site is designed just for mobile devices. Odd considering I thought Grantland looked really good, both on computers and on mobile.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Odd that a website designed by a company staffed with people who have tons of experience, creativity and money would look better than one designed by a self-described outlaws of sports journalism?

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

It's still miles better than the shitshow that is SI.com.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I thought the story about "The Challenge" had some great lines. Can't believe that thing is still going.

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Obviously if the site goes out of business, the headline is Dead Ringer, right?

bumpy mcgee likes this.
  7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I always thought my laptop was the problem, but then I got a new one, and it still bogs down when I even think of clicking on SI. All sorts of weird tabs and pop-ups. I read Deitsch most weeks and I sometimes have to click on it three or four different times to get to the bottom of his column, there's so much technocrud in the pipes.

8. Mauve_Avenger

Mauve_Avenger Member

Disclaimer: I never have gotten into the show and I understand a ton of people watch it. But still, does anyone else think it is excessive to have an entire tab of the site devoted to Game of Thrones when the others are Sports, Pop Culture, Tech, etc?

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It's an HBO property and they some of the best people on the GOT "beat" doing this site and the after show. I'm sure it will be big part of getting people to the new site.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Just read the Durant piece. 5 minutes of my life I'm never getting back.

11. Mauve_Avenger

Mauve_Avenger Member

It's 2016 and we have a Game of Thrones beat.

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

But why does
    The website apparently is separate from HBO. It is an investor, but the site is Simmons'. Who knows how the investment relates to Bill's tv deal with HBO, but the reports are portraying The Ringer as Bill's and apart from HBO.

Draft saved Draft deleted