1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ringer is Live

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HappyCurmudgeon, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Simmons has to be pissed he lost the Keepin' It 1600 guys. That was his ticket to accessing a much, much larger audience. And he had it right in his hands and it got away.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I doubt it makes much, but it provides a platform for those who write there. They can go on to the next site that will hire them for 3 years or whatever. It's a living.

I visit The Ringer very rarely. A snapshot of the site right at this moment shows 6 posts on movies, for example, and "the top 25 NBA players of the first 25ish games."

I mean, FFS.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I don't think he had any choice. They made it clear they wanted, while doing the podcast, to work with various organizations to elect Democrats and just the advocacy aspect of it meant both sides didn't want the pod, going forward, to be specifically tied to a journalistic endeavor.

Hermes, sgreenwell and Alma like this.
  4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I had mostly stopped listening to Simmons’ podcasts, except for his guess the lines on Monday’s. I tried to listen to one yesterday about the Steelers disfunction and it was brutal. He is incapable of going more than 3 minutes on any NFL topic without mentioning the Pats.

Hermes likes this.
  5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I don't think the podcast works at all when Kevin Clark and Kevin O'Connor are on. And he put both of them on the same show. It was a real slog.

I have about 12 hours of podcast content I digest per day while working my jobs and that was a really, really slow couple of hours.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Webster likes this.
  6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

It's interesting to me how some of those guys completely fucking vanished, and some of them just kept keeping on. Not sure what separates them, except that the ones who pretended to be feminists while they abused women seem to be the most disappeared.

8. CD Boogie

Last I heard Greg Howard, late of Deadspin of NYT, was living under a rock in Australia. If he ever pops back up, I'll be among the many waiting to whack-a-mole his ass. First-class POS.

I wasn't overly familiar with a lot of those guys, but every time I see one pop back up (like Rembert) I re-read the list to see if I now know more of them. Like, damn, Philip Meyer? I own "The Son" and was planning to read it. Now, uh, not so much.

EDIT: I realize that's unfair because he wasn't (to my knowledge) arrested. But we're not trying him in a court of law. I'm trying him in my judgment -- about whether I want to spend untold hours heading a work of art by a guy who might just be a real shit heel.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  9. typefitter

I didn't know Howard had left the Times. I thought about the list again the other day when Tomas Rios's ex went viral with the following tweet, which is kind of amazing for its awfulness:

I imagined he was just starting to think about surfacing and went, No, no, back underground I go. She accused him of chasing her and her 4-year-old son with a knife. He was also always the first to join into a Twitter dogpile when some dude stepped in it. That list came out and he was a ghost.

10. CD Boogie

Whoa...

The tiramisu thing...is she trying to be funny? Because that's funny to me, in a weird, twisted way. And was there a follow-up? Seems like an odd segue to go from outing a dude for taking credit for your dessert creation and then going all caps about THE INTOLERABLE VIOLENCE.

11. typefitter

It turned into a thread. I think it's a real story, not a joke. I can see how that would be absolutely maddening. A gesture of your love that he then turns into a way to flirt with other women? I'd cut him to pieces.

EDIT: It got 55,000 likes. It obviously struck a chord.

12. CD Boogie

I'm thinking about the behind the scenes in the creation of this photo. Unless he has long arms and is double-jointed, this was not a selfie, but a staged photo. Then again, maybe it was taken by a wildlife photographer, whose lucky day it was to nab at at-risk latino male in its natural environment. Man what a douche.

upload_2019-3-1_13-33-45.png

Draft saved Draft deleted