1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ringer has 19 people writing about the NBA

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sly, Sep 28, 2018.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's pretty much how I remember it.

I was predisposed to liking it too. I think he's a terrific writer. I enjoyed the stuff about Japan.

Ultimately I was drawn into the story and he decided to abandon it. It felt like he suckered me in when the real point of the piece was to show me how clever he is.

And lord, I forgotten about the stuff about his memory. That was really strange.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That it’s purposeful, and it is, doesn’t redeem it in my eyes. It’s an elaborate chain jerk.

As a seasoned...consumer?...of the literary journal age - the “new American West” writing, the rise of the personal memoir - maybe I’m just less impressed by it. I couldn’t write it, I don’t think, from a talent perspective, but I’m not sure that matters; it’s good writing in the service of what? It’s like an elegant tracking shot of something not that worth tracking. The elegance is noted. The purpose is...

3. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me, but I found this story as well as Hassan Whiteside to be really tedious: Inside the Mind of Hassan Whiteside. I see that the writer was hired after two internships and a sports clerk job (per LinkedIn).

Tweener likes this.
  4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

It read like Riley and Spoelstra coming to grips with no one wanting and being stuck with that big old outdated finicky Cadillac, so they're going put some air fresheners on the rearview mirror and see how long it will drive.

I don't see a place for Whiteside in today's game. I just don't. And even if there was, Bam does it at a fraction of the cost and headaches. They're stuck with him.

5. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I agree with you regarding Bam, but the article bothered me more than Whiteside's play.

Dog8Cats and Hermes like this.
  6. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

The only part of that article that wasn't a chore to read -- and by that I mean it took a nontrival effort just to keep marching through it -- was when the writer recalled the workout. All of the stuff the writer attempted to craft through something other than reporting was indeed bothersome.

Fran Curci likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted