1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Riley Cooper calendar "controversy"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I noted it on the NFL off-season thread. It's an amusement, but I can't see outrage.

It is pretty funny, though.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

If they were going to pick a white guy, maybe it's best to pick one without a documented history of hating black people.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The bigger story might be this nugget :
    "Cooper started all 16 games in 2014. He caught 55 passes for 577 yards and three touchdowns. The website Pro Football Focus, which grades every player, rated Cooper as the lowest-graded wide receiver in the NFL for 2014."

Given how crappy the NY Jet receivers were that's really saying something. You think he would be a better receiver after having to catch
    all Tebows crappy passes for 4 years.

5. Boom_70

I'll play. Where's the "documented " evidence that he hates black people?

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That just isn't an excuse. They sold someone the rights -- through the NFL -- to use their name on a calendar. They are happy to collect the licensing fee. They can't then turn around and try to distance themselves from what that licensee does with the right they gave them. The fact that they don't put any controls on what gets done with their image once they license it and collect a check, doesn't absolve them from responsibility for the finished product. In fact, in my eyes it makes them even bigger putzes.

It doesn't work that way. They absolutely DO have the opportunity to review material produced by their licensees -- if they make that a condition of the license. They didn't care enough, though. Apparently a check that cleared was the only criteria the NFL had in place. And for their part, the Eagles can't take all the benefits of the cartel they are a part of and try to distance itself from the decisions the cartel makes that they don't like.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Come on, these days there's ALWAYS room for outrage.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ragu, I bet the Eagles did review the calendar and are lying now because it's easy cover.

I also bet in the entire chain of decision-making on this calendar, there wouldn't have been anyone overly cognizant of the fact that February is Black History Month.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I guess that's the hang-up for me.

Is it that much of a thing now that it's an Outrage not to consider it in such decisions?

10. Boom_70

I think it's more butthurt

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I am really trying hard here -- why the fuck is this even a story, much less a "controversy"?

Who gives a fuck?

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted