1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Right Way to Walk on Eggshells

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stick2TheScript(s), Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Amazing, isn't it, that when cuts are made, these people are NEVER part of those cuts?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Smile and be glad you were leaving.
    You played it the right way.

And Write-brained, you are correct. I did that in a couple of instances. I kept one guy's secret for four months. Hypocritical you say? I can see that but it isn't the case. Those who I told later didn't have to worry about getting the section out every day without said employee. I did. The whole world doesn't need to know.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Here is my take on it. No boss should be blindsided in this current state of affairs that folks are looking for other jobs.

If the boss is mad that you are looking for a job, I'd simply say, "I'd have told you sooner, but I didn't want to compete with you for the position."

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I agree. My first full-time job, the paper was in such bad shape that sometimes people did not leave for the night by saying goodbye, they'd say, "See ya at Sir Speedy," the resume printer down the block. Everyone was looking. It was a given. My boss at the time was one of my roommates, so he certainly knew it wasn't personal. The turnover was massive, but the paper still got out every day no matter who left. And it always does everywhere else, too.

5. My last section editor actually helped me get the job I have now. We were both tired of of upper management so she understood that I was looking elsewhere. When they drove her away she contacted a friend of hers here and sold them on me. I'm forever grateful.

I didn't tell the current section editor at the time. He would have told upper management and I was afraid I would get fired immediately. Luckily, I served out my two weeks without incident. I think they were tired of me complaining about how lousy they were.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

If someone is a long-term employee, he or she already has demonstrated more loyalty than newspapers are giving to staffers in return these days. That person has earned the right to be looking around for new and better opportunities.

If someone is a short-term employee -- that is, most vulnerable to a swift and sudden layoff -- that person is foolish if he or she isn't keeping an eye on possible landing spots in the job market. Unless a boss can pledge and back up loyalty, to the point of stepping in front of a management train, there's only so much you can demand in return.

Newspapers these days are lucky they get anything more than Tony Montana wadding up his apron and telling the diner boss to wash the effin' dishes himself.

7. Mediator

Mediator Member

Isn't everyone looking? With the industry in the current state, if you haven't been cultivating a Plan B then you are delusional. If I'm a boss and I have a reporter worth his or her salt, I assume they're talking to people.

Considering anyone could be subject to a mass layoff, with no heart-to-heart warning beforehand, I don't see why a worker owes it to management to be more forthcoming. Does your editor come to you and say, "Hey, they're thinking about cutting a position in sports, and it's you. I'll let you know what happens."

That said, if you have an exceptional relationship with your editor, go the extra mile. But I only bring it up if I have a solid offer.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I remember the days when folks in the business used a job offer (sometimes a fictional job offer) to get a promotion or raise.

Them's the days.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

For the job I have now, I used all three of my main bosses as references. Always deal straight.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In this environment, I would be concerned that perhaps my bosses would figure that they couldn't hire anyone to replace me if I left and would be left with extra work. So perhaps they might not be so eager to gush.

Or perhaps they fear job cuts and would be glad to see anyone leap off the bow and consider it more job security.

Hard to tell. So I'd just keep quiet.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Business is business. You owe them two weeks notice, that's it. Most bosses aren't so naive as to think you're in a spot forever and won't hold it against you anyway, but not all. If you are interviewing, it's real easy to ask the prospective employer that if they want to talk to your current paper to give you a heads up first, so you can be the one to break the news. If they go behind your back anyway, screw em. With very few exceptions it's not very bright to advertise to the higher ups when you're looking around. I've seen people turn on a dime and take it personally, people I respected and thought had a better perspective on things. Your first allegiance is to your family (if you've got one to support).

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I've posted this before ... but it depends on your situation and your boss. The last time I was job hunting, I was the SE at a 10K stop with a three-man sports staff. Considering how poor our pay was for entry-level folk, I figured I'd be up front with the ME that I was in the serious talk stages with another paper, which was across the country and necessitated a weekend off to go for an interview. I was one of three people going in for live interviews, so it was worth to me telling the ME what was up.

Again, I trusted the ME and worked for him for eight years, and I know how hard it is to fill positions on short notice. I felt OK telling him what I was doing, and he wished me luck. I got the job, and I'm still on good terms with my old ME now, even getting some occasional freelance work.

Had I worked for a dick, I probably wouldn't have shared anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.