1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Right Stuff

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Sep 20, 2008.

1. One of my all-time favorites. Best scene for me is when Yeager breaks the sound barrier.
    "Hey Ridley, I think I broke this mach meter here. It's jumped plum off the scale."

Sheppard is such a good actor, sometimes I wish he'd stop writing his fucked up plays.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

So, was Grissom panicky, or not?

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/missions/liberty_bell_000617.html

Nobody will ever know for sure, but Gunther Wendt, the chief technician who helped bolt astronauts into the spacecraft from Mercury through Apollo, said he didn't think it was possible for Grissom to have blown the hatch.

One of the legacies of Liberty Bell 7, tragically, might have been the original design of the Apollo hatch mechanism -- an unwieldy procedure that took over a minute, and probably contributed to the death of Grissom, White and Chaffee in the Apollo 1 fire. After the disaster, the hatch was redesigned so it could be opened in about 15 seconds, which probably still wouldn't have been fast enough.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Probably, but still not sure he blew the hatch

Draft saved Draft deleted