1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ricky Gervais Thing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Jan 6, 2020.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I’ve been mildly amused/annoyed listening to the far right screech machine try to make Gervais speech more than it is. They don’t realize if they invite them to Cpac, he will eviscerate them and they will all cry about it.

Humor and satire do not play well to that crowd. It’s why they read the Babylon Bee. They think that is comedy gold cuz it goes after the libs.

however, I’ve already seen some memes claiming the audience booed and cursed Gervais. Not any clip I saw.

2. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

He's funny, but could you imagine going on road trip with him?
    Narrator: No.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That road trip would be a thousand miles of him being like like:

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

As one of the few people on “the right” on this board, I’ll say that their sense of humor generally is awful.

Always convinced that the world, the media, entertainment is out to get them.

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

aka "THE JOOS!"

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I thought Gervais was funny - I did notice that his humor worked within the room better when he was talking about a specific person and they could laugh at himself - rather than the corporate overlords and the celebs wondered if they could laugh (I'm mean cripes, Tim Cook is right there!) Mostly, though the Globes seem like a pay for play thing. Didn't Missing Link get trashed and it won the animation award? Also seemed to help if you weren't an American. Loved all the political speechifying - almost seemed to be a parody as people couldn't figure out if they were going to give shout outs to Climate Change, Aussie Fires (surprised the righties weren't confused and thought people were blaming them on Bush), War etc. Loved the emphasis on cleavage - my mom was making comments throughout - it was hysterical.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

We are!

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Missing Link got favorable reviews. Better than Frozen 2, not as good as Toy Story 4, but I suspect the Disney votes may have split there.

And yes, the Hollywood Foreign Press does generally like foreign movies.

9. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I remember when Fox News tried to do their own version of The Daily Show. Oh, it was a mess. I find it hard to believe that P.J. O'Rourke is the only funny Republican.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

As their hero goes down, they're grasping for anything.

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Nothing beats Ricky’s 2016 tête-à-tête with Mel Gibson.

OscarMadison and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Oh, it’s his last time.
    Those jokes ensured it.

Draft saved Draft deleted