1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The revolution against the NCAA will not be televised

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Mar 9, 2012.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Just got word that I won't be covering the NCAA tournament because of a rights fight over photos.

Seems, if you accept media credentials, the NCAA can claim ownership of those pictures and if they go to court, the agreement is worded as such that your media company will have to pay the legal fees of the NCAA.

This is the first year the policy is in effect and, I think, applies to men's and women's basketball and baseball and softball. It doesn't apply to beat coverage, just the NCAA tournaments.

My boss and my boss's boss and the guy who owns the joint have said the NCAA can go to Hell.

So, since this is the first I've heard of it, has anyone else been told this at their shops?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I don't think this policy will hold up in court, but I commend your bosses for telling the NCAA to fuck off.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think MLB tried to do this a few years ago and the newsies won a staredown.

4. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

LPGA tried it as well at a tournament in Hawaii, including not only photos but copy. Nobody but a small paper covered the first round. LPGA caved. AP and others were there for the second round and beyold.

Draft saved Draft deleted