1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The return of Rick Reilly at SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kayaugstin Kott, Mar 1, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He paid what everyone said was way too much for the franchise. He hired a general manager who had never worked for a team before and has hired two coaches who were never coaches. He turned around the culture, which can be a nebulous word but in this case meant a toxic atmosphere for 20 years that prevented any player from ever wanting to go there.

Curry alone wouldn't be doing this any more than LeBron alone could win a championship in Cleveland.

Jerry West has undoubtedly been a huge part of the success. But Lacob listening to West is a huge part of it too. Imagine what the Cowboys would be if Jerry Jones listened to a Hall of Fame personnel guy.

Anyway he has turned this $450 million investment into a $2 billion property, and his team is finishing one of the two best two-year stretches in the history of the league. Probably just luck.

I'm sure you bitch all day about owners who do everything wrong. Do any of them ever do anything right?

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It sure is going out on a twig of a limb to say the Warriors won't be the best team in the league in pepertuity once their stars are done.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Lacob thinks the system he's set up ensures they'll be fine.

4. Jake_Taylor

Just busting chops, I don't really give a shit about him or the Warriors.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Reilly getting pilloried, with good reason, for this Twitter gem:

My favorite so far:

6. Jake_Taylor

But what if the third breast was on her back, so you could put your hands on it when you hugged?

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Rick, Rick, Rick. Writing about your favorite sport gets you in trouble. Why am I not surprised?

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Reilly made a horrible joke right from the Baby Boomer playbook.

Does he need to go fuck himself over it? No.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

What's tasteless about it, and where Anderson has a point, is that Kate Upton did nothing wrong and didn't deserve it.

What does Durant's classless move to a new team have to do with a woman's private parts ?

This is what we call objectification in the feminism biz.

When guys ask me if stuff like this is okay...

I always say.... imagine the woman in the tweet is your daughter, wife or sister.

You cool with that ?

studthug12, HanSenSE, SFIND and 2 others like this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You could ask that question on a whole host of cultural and artistic issues. It'd be an interesting discussion. Most men - including me - would not fare as well as we imagine in such a discussion.

Hey - you're not going to find me making or defending Reilly joke. But I'm the holy roller who finds Kanye west to be a pervert. And I also fail to see how Anderson's tweet is any better. Feels like a race to the lowest common denominator.

Lugnuts likes this.
  11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Why is it classless for Durant to sign with the Warriors?

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

It's not.

Draft saved Draft deleted