1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The return of Raycom? Or only SEC types will care

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Nov 13, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Lincoln National to sell media holdings
    Lincoln National Corp., will sell its TV and radio holdings for a combined $683 million to focus on its insurance businesses.
    The buyer is Raycom Media and it will include its Charlotte, N.C.; Richmond, Va.; and Charleston, S.C. TV stations and a sports syndication unit to Raycom Media Inc. for $583 million.It will sell its Charlotte radio stations to Greater Media Inc. for $100 million.
    The reason is the decline in ad revenues, according to a release.

So what does this mean for the Daves of Lincoln Financial nee Jefferon-Pilot?
    Will the Saturday morning football broadcasts now be called Raycom? Will they stay as Lincoln Financial, doubtful, or will they sell the name of the broadcast to the highest bidder...
    The Chick-fil-A SEC game of the week.
    The Krystals/Texas Pete hot sauce SEC game of the week
    The Dr. Pepper SEC game of the week?
    The mind boggles at the possibilities ... The Webby/Moddy SportsJournalists.Com SEC game of the week. RockBottom, HoopsMcCann and John could work the pregame show.
    Better than the Daves

2. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I will say, watching the Bama-M$U game this week, I was shocked to see that the second team from LFS actually made the three Daves look competent. I can only assume they asked two freshman from WVUA to drive to Starkville and team up with Mrs. Ed to put the broadcast together at the last moment.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Hey, the ACC has a Raycom/JP game too. And it'll always be Raycom/JP as far as I'm concerned.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Give me JP over Raycom/Lincoln Financial any day.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

it could be chick-fil-a since there are no games on sunday

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Golden Flake.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Damn, that sucks, I wished the BTN wasn't created now. 

Hey Armchair, remember when Raycom did the Big Ten basketball games?  Larry Morgan and Mac McCausland GQ'ed up on the parquet floor at Carver-Hawkeye, Jenison Fieldhouse, and old Wisconsin Fieldhouse? 

Raycom did a pretty good job back then when they did those games. 

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Man, if I had a lot of money I'd buy it and it could be the HH Network.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

JP for me.

Raycom sounds like something that kills roaches or you'd find in a spaceman's utility belt.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Raycom and JP are separate companies, right?

Why are they co-branded on broadcasts?

11. John

John Well-Known Member

I don't cover an SEC team anymore. I moved up to the Southern Conference.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

(hangs head for knowing this)

They actually sent one of the regular Daves to Starkvegas, and dusted off the Dave they shitcanned after last year to call the game in Knoxville with the other two Daves.

The Bama broadcast was tolerable, unless you are one of those finicky types that wants frills like knowledge of the rules of football, or rudimentry math skills that allow for accurate down and distance calculations.

Draft saved Draft deleted