1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Return of Hull and Mikita

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

I was referring to the way he was blackballed for filing the lawsuit and initiating the players union.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Gordie Howe's relationship with the Red Wings has been tenuous at best, although that has also been somewhat of a two-way street at times.

Also due to some extent, like Hull's situation, to jumping leagues to the WHA in the 1970s. (Particularly ridiculous because Howe had been 'retired' by the Red Wings for a season or two when the WHA came calling. Apparently the Norris family felt he should sit home and play pinochle rather than still play hockey.)

The old-school NHL owners really were a bunch of miserable pricks.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

reading this thread makes me long for the days of the original 6. Where did you go Pit Martin?

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It is very good for the league when one of the Original Six is at the pinnacle. What has happened in Chicago, Montreal, Boston, Toronto and New York is a shame.

5. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Don't be hating on my 1967 Minnesota North Stars, Boom :)

(Secord still sucks and Savard looks like a rat, apologies to Ken Linesman)

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Montreal's in second place in the East

Rangers and Boston will make the playoffs

The only original six REALLY suffering is The Centre of the Hockey Universe.

And I'm crossing my fingers that the Habs will play the Bruins in the first round.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm talking about the past 15 to 20 years, JR.

Seems like the Habs have been in last as often as they've been in first. Growing up, Montreal was a top three team every year.

The Rangers were allowed to be run into the ground.

The Bruins usually will be a team fighting for the seventh or eighth seed in the East until the franchise is sold.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Time to let them go, Lou Nanne and J P Parisi will not be walking through the door any time soon.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I remember watching Pit Martin circa 1960 when he played for the Hamilton Red Wings, Detroit's farm team. He was a fan favourite.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Good for the Blackhawks. Yes, the Original Six theory is a good one. In fact, in a few hours I'll be in Los Angeles to see the Kings oppose the Habs. I think it's been a few years since the Habs played in L.A. (and they'll face the Ducks on Sunday). I hope the infusion of young players in Chicago brings that team's fortunes way up.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Go Habs!

Ducks versus Habs --possible preview of the Stanley Cup Final?

12. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

I know, you're right...just spent a lot of time in that building, from the first game to the last.

I have a poster from the 1967 season with all the NHL team logos.The California Golden Seals, where have you gone? Bauer was the official skate of the NHL and they put the poster out to monetize (hello mrscott) their corporate involvement. I'm quite sure it drove traffic and maximized their sponsorship.

Draft saved Draft deleted