1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Return of Hull and Mikita

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Mar 7, 2008.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

My brotherinlaw just called me from Chicago, sobbing, watching Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita finally welcomed back to the Blackhawks to have their jerseys retired. Sounds like a very dramatic and emotional event.

Good for the new management for making this happen. Anyone there or watching?

2. lono

lono Active Member

No, but it's about time. Those guys were giants back in the day.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Since his father's passing, Rocky Wirtz has done a tremendous job trying to get that franchise back on track.

Here's a column from this morning. I can't wait to see the highlights from tonight on the NHL Network when I get home.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/830196,CST-SPT-greg07.article

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Party on Stan

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

About time.

6. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

I knew there were bad feelings, but in all these years they never had retired Hull and Mikta's jerseys? Good lord...

Secord still sucks, though :D

7. I had no idea it was that bad.
    Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita?
    Wow.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Don't let Mizzou know anybody cried.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Nice piece except for the stuff about the outdoor game which I wish the NHL would do away with.

I grew up with Hull & Mikita in the old Original Six days and as I mentioned on the hockey thread, one of my hockey debates as a kid was: who's the best left winger in hockey, Hull or Mahovlich?

The Big M every time. :)

I really hope the Hawks make the playoffs. The Chicago hockey fans (and the league) deserve it.

Kane & Toews are fabulous hockey players and of course, Mimico's own David Bolland is there as well.

Kudos to Rocky Wirtz and although one should never speak ill of the dead, good riddance Bill.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

That was awesome. Totally awesome.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Chicagoland SportsJournalists.com, please monitor this to see which (alas, if any) columnists show up to write about it.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

OK. I was really blown away just now thinking that somehow the Blackhawks had never retired Hull or Mikita's numbers after reading one of the posts on here. But then I read the Trib story and it said that Mikita's number was the first the Hawks ever retired in 1980. And even with the WHA thing, they retired Hull's number in 1983. Thank goodness. Still, for a team to spurn two players that synonymous with the franchise for that long is rare. I can't think of anything like it. I know that Yogi Berra had his tiff with George Steinbrenner over the way he was fired as manager, but that was Yogi taking a stand, not the Yankees. Are there any other former star players who have been treated like outcasts by teams they are synonymous with?

Draft saved Draft deleted