1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The return of cock rock?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Jones

Jones Active Member

This Lips of an Angel song is No. 1 in Canada. Also, this band sounds and looks terrible... big hair, insipid lyrics, Trixter-esque guitar solo breaking up what is, by very definition, an 80s power ballad somehow come back to life. I mean, really. I know music is cycical, but can we be spared the return of Slaughter and Firehouse?

P.S. If you happen to like Hinder, my apologies. You are a terrible human being.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Wow. I wonder if this news will excite BYH.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Thank God, Jones.

I saw this video for the first time a couple weeks ago while I was on the phone with the bf. I had him turn on the TV. The lead singer looks like he's channeling a wussy Perry Farrell with all the twitching and the weird hand motions.

And what's up with his hair? It's like he parts it on the side and combs it across his forehead.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Cock rock??? Those 80s hair bands hardly define cock rock, more like ... uh, er ... suck cock rock!

Free, the Stones, Led Zeppelin and T-Rex are cock rock. All others are swimming in their wake.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

When did cock rock leave?

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I wanna rock

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Everywhere I go the kids wanna rock

9. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

It brightens my day to see all the Hinder hate in here.

God-awful band that is on the radio here non-stop, no matter what station I turn to. There's just nothing I can find that seems genuine about them. They're the darlings of adult contemporary radio, which caters to the middle-aged white folks with children, yet it wasn't even a year ago that they started getting played on alternative stations with "Get Stoned," which includes such fine lyrics as:

Lets go home and get stoned
    We could end up makin love instead of misery
    Go home and get stoned
    Cause the sex is so much better when you're mad at me

and...

The break up is worth the make up sex you're givin me
    Lets hash it out
    Cause your bitchin and your yellin don't mean anything

Classy.

10. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

In an interview by Rolling Stone a few months back, one of the band members said "I saw OK Go on the Video Music Awards doing their treadmill routine...that's not rock and roll."

Fantastic.

Rock and roll, a musical form that has its roots in rebellion yet a history of accepting the outcasts, has apparently become the domain of the cooler-than-thou gym class morons. Apparently, there is only one route to true rock and roll, and the boys in Hinder, God bless 'em, are here to show us the way.

A subsequent interview had one of the members talking about the band's phenomenal success in the midwest, and he held forth to say that the band was straightforward and no-frills, something appreciated by midwesterners and southerners.

Folks talk often of big-city elitism. But isn't this kind of "we're more real than the city boys" garbage also a kind of elitism? And besides, tractor pulls are straightforward, too.

Either or, enjoy it while it lasts, gentlemen.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm a terrible person. I like Hinder and find the lead singer hot (although I could do without the odd hand gestures).

And BYH had no clue who this band was until I mentioned them while we were IMing a week or so ago.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

No matter what act says that, it always comes out sounding like, "You have to be a moron to like our music."

Hinder, and their record company, certainly are bringing back one thing -- releasing a rocker as your first single, then following it with a power ballad.

Draft saved Draft deleted