1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The resignation of Norwood Teague at Minnesota

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

This is what I am wondering about.

How much more went on at Minnesota?

Was a blind eye turned?

2. freqposter

freqposter Active Member

Women look at four variables.

Looks.
    Money.
    Power.
    Is he kind to children/animals/the disabled?

Teague doesn't have the looks but had the next two in spades and could fake the last one.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Well, the money and power got him squat, so he was reduced to creeping on Star Tribune writers, with little success.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You should all link this post to the Star Tribune writer and see if she thinks it's funny.

5. 93Devil

Is keeping quiet about this guy all that different than keeping quiet about Sandusky?

I know you have different levels of victims. What he was doing was amazingly awful, and he was enabled by those around him.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So who are you accusing of being an enabler?

7. 93Devil

The people who paid $300,000 to keep everything quiet.
    VCU who didn't salt the earth on this guy.
    Minnesota for hiring him if they knew.
    I hate to type this, but the people who took the money but allowed his career to grow.

And these are just the women we know about. I'm guessing there are more.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'm going to take the unpopular position (seems like I've done that a few times lately) and say that I agree with much of what zagoshe posted.

I wouldn't condemn the Star Tribune reporter for the way she handled her situation because I believe people usually try to handle such things in what seems the best way they can at the time, and with the understanding that that reaction may change at any time. But I also questioned what took her so long, and wondered, really, why bring it up now? (I'm thinking that was/is at the suggestion/encouragement of the paper, actually).

I don't buy that she was afraid she would lose access at/to the university. If she did go above Teague with such serious allegations, especially with the consent/support/backing of her bosses at the newspaper (AND those actual damning texts), did she really think the university would have not taken her seriously and that it really might have censured her that strongly? It wouldn't have dared, not without some strong counter evidence of Teague's or its own.

And to bring it up now just puts her in an even more personally public eye than a reporter usually is, or ever should be.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Maybe the paper tried to put together something, shake some branches, etc., but couldn't nail the guy. We don't know that.

10. qtlaw24

qtlaw24 Active Member

Serious question, how many "alleged" rape victims do you personally know are better off today after making the accusation than before?

My god, how do people like you even come up with these scenarios? Its all pure fiction that you conjure up.

You want statistics? Why are less than 5% of rapes even reported? Because 95% are afraid of all the monetary rewards and adulation that will accompanying them winning the lottery ticket that is being a victim of sexual assault?

Don't be lazy and hypothesize about some ridiculous possibility, thereby lending support to those that abuse and harass, use your skills towards something more productive, like helping victims. Go talk to an actual victim, look in their eyes and then say that they won the lottery.

Lugnuts and JC like this.
  11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'll give you VCU and Minnesota if they knew.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but when Rayno was worried about "losing access," could she have meant because of legal proceedings and not retaliation?
    If there's a complaint lodged against Teague but he isn't immediately fired while an investigation is carried out, the SOP is for the two parties to stay away from each other, right? It'd be pretty hard for her to do her job if she had to actively avoid Teague and not go in some of the campus buildings where he might be, events he might attend, not call him about stories involving the athletic department, etc. If it winds up in a lawsuit as he fights to keep his job, that could drag on for months.

Draft saved Draft deleted