1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The remarkable Julio Franco

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Oct 13, 2006.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

He probably is 52, already.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It is nice to see an old Julio be successful for a change.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Aside from him being on an LCS team, which has more to do with other people than singularly him, there's nothing you could write about Franco now that you couldn't have written a year or two ago.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The question should be ... if Julio stays active long enough to get to 3K hits ...

Is he a HOFer? Or did he queer the deal by playing longer than his prostate did?

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not. A. Chance.

Never considered the best player on his own team, let alone his position or the league or the era, at any point in his career.

One batting title, 2,500 hits are his only credentials. And the latter is only because he played until he was about 50. That's not nearly, nearly enough to warrant consideration for Cooperstown.

Still a great story. And by all accounts, a great guy.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

He probably would have made things really interesting if he'd played in the majors in 1995 and most of 1998-2001 instead of in various other countries.

Fortunately, no one's tested my "3,000 hits is a lock" theory yet. Take that, Harold Baines (2,866)!!! And Steve Finley (2,531) will need nearly four more seasons similiar to this one (105 hits) to reach 3,000. And even if he's found the "fountain of youth" *cough* friends with Barry Bonds and played in roid central in Houston in the '90s *cough cough* he'll have a hard time doing that until he's 45.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Julio= 2,566 hits.

I thought he was farther up the food chain. In that case, never mind.

Now, if he played to age 52 and got there ....

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

He's not gonna reach 3,000 hits, so it's moot.

But I believe that however you get 3,000 hits is incredible enough of a feat to get you in.

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Franco's retirement has been mentioned on another thread, but I thought I'd dig up the old Julio thread in honor of number 14's retirement. Thanks for the memories, Dominicano.

[​IMG]
    My favorite Franco moment- 1990 All-Star MVP- also the game when Reagan called him "Joo-lee-o."

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Just caught Ryan's seventh no-hitter on ESPN Classic the other day. Was interesting to see Franco playing second for the Rangers, and thinking he had already been in the league almost a decade by then.

11. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

And as someone put on the other thread...the last remaining player from RBI Baseball.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Julio Franco taught Ryan Sonner how to design pages.

Draft saved Draft deleted