1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "Religion of Peace" Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RubberSoul1979, Jul 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I will say that I have never come across a Jehovah's Witness that I thought was going to bomb an abortion clinic.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm a devout follower of the First Church of Appliantology. It's a token of my extreme.

image.jpg

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The honest answer is a full US military invasion. 100,000 combat troops on the ground. Armored divisions and artillery. Throw at them the overwhelming force that the U.S. staged in the original Iraq war or what was in Germany in the 70 s and 80s to stem the USSR. ISIS is in cities, seige those cities. Cutoff supplies. And pound them in Iraq and Syria.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In other words, risk our own troops' lives.

Wasn't training the Iraqi army supposed to be so they could handle situations like this? Seems like they're not very successful, and there are even reports that they're running away from battle. Just what we need. Another Korea and Vietnam.

5. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Sure but I don't think we as a country have the stomach for that and will that not just create another "ISIS" to fill the void? Also isn't that giving ISIS the legitimacy that they crave?

6. heyabbott

Iraq's Army was never seriously considered as a military force. The military experts in the Pentagon knew that from the start, only the politicians promoted that idea. Cheney and Rumsfled should have known the Iraqui army would be a fiction and they had ideas that private American contractors would be paid hundreds of billions over the years to staff the core of the real army.

I am not promoting a full military invasion to wipe out ISIS, but ISIS is easier to destroy than Al Queda and the Taliban. They are more out in the open, the are occupying land and tryng to govern. The butchering that goes on by ISIS is equal to or dwarfed by the carnage in huge parts of Africa. Why the middle east and not Africa. Its in Americas interest to actually arm the ISIS opponents sufficiently to prolong that fighting, just enough help to be effective, not too much to win. Let them beat each other up for a few years. It will take the pressure off Israel and make Saudi Arabia more pliable by the US.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm not even a little angry, and contrary to your post, I welcome such a conversation. In fact, I am simply asking the original poster to provide us a topic for us to discuss. He did not. He told us radical Islam is far removed from American ideals and values (no shit), that Congress sucks (no shit) and that if you Google "Tunisia Massacre" two incidents come up from 2015.

So, Mr. Sunshine, you're obviously eager to jump into this empty conversation, so I'll put the same question to you: What about The Religion of Peace would you like to discuss?

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Saudi Arabia cannot be made more pliable by the United States. More like the other way around because of this country's insatiable thirst for oil.

9. heyabbott

maybe, just maybe, in 20 years 30-40% of new cars purchased will not use, directly, fossil fuels. Then it becomes the issue of how to cleanly and efficiently create electricty with renewable energy. Even if the US can divorse itself from Mid East oil, Europe and Asia, our suppliers and customers, put enough distance between oil and themselves to make the middle east just another 3rd world hell hole, rather than a strategic neccessity

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Was there anything the world could have done to stop Hitler from gassing Jews?

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Nobody elected me to anything so I've got no clout to do anything. If the civilized world would stop putting up with these atrocities, I believe progress would be made in eradicating these inhuman murderers.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Didn't they eventually stop him from gassing more? Yeah, the response was slow (thanks to isolationist asshats like Charles Lindbergh and Joseph P. Kennedy) but the world certainly did something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.