1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "Religion of Peace" Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RubberSoul1979, Jul 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Bullseye. If Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith did political takes, the first post on this thread is what they'd sound like.

2. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

1) I don't work on the editorial board.
    2) I try to keep political topics away from social media; While I don't need
    to hide any wacko viewpoints under disguise, I like the incognito status of this Board and its "throwback" status to a pre-social media internet.
    3) In the wake of last week's historic Supreme Court rulings, you still need to focus on what else is important out there.
    4) With July 4 approaching, it's easy to compare/contrast what's going on the world with our country's values. Radical Islam is about as far removed from the Bill of Rights/Declaration of Independence/FDR's Four Freedoms as you can get.
    5) This isn't a slam on Obama and him alone. Congress won't even pass a resolution authorizing force against ISIS. Dubya opened up Pandora's Mesopotamia Box himself. One side sucks, the other blows.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

There was a lot of violence back in the day before they banned Nickel Beer Night.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That long-haired chick looks like Elvis' daughter in her post-Michael Jackson phase.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

When aren't you in that mode?

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I just don't see the launching point of a discussion. What about Islam are you trying to discuss?

After big news about Obamacare and gay marriage, we shouldn't forget about radical Islam? OK, what should we be discussing about it? What's your approach to the threats of ISIS, Taliban, etc? What do you think we should be doing?
    Radical Islam isn't down with the Bill of Rights? So fucking what?
    Congress sucks? Again, so fucking what?

What's the discussion here? Or is this just a place for people to mouth off about Muslims?

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It'd be one thing if they weren't down with the Bill of Rights. That's fine with me. But when you go around killing anyone who's not down with your particular belief system, that's another story.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

We're just the rehearsal for the RubberSoul Drunk Uncle command performance at the family BBQ.

That reminds me, I'm going to a cop's house Saturday, I need to make sure my body camera works and make my "Black Lives Matter" sign.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

What makes you think it hasn't done anything?

Contrary to what some keyboard jockeys spittin hot takes seem to think, eradicating groups like Al Qaeda and ISIS has proven to be a really REALLY hard thing to do. We've learned the hard way that it can't be fixed simply by marching in there killing them all, and trying to do so can have collateral consequences that make the situation even worse than before.

I mean, you do remember us just completing two decade plus long wars that bankrupted our treasury and killed god only knows how many thousands, right? Did that monumental effort fix the problems in the Mid East? Fuck No. If anything, appears it may've made things even worse. After all, let's remember it was our over-aggression in the Mid East that essentially created ISIS--if not for our illegal invasion of Iraq, then the power vacuum in which ISIS emerged never forms.

We ALL agree on the goal here, but how to accomplish and pay for it is where things gets fuzzy. We've been trying to bomb the shit out of them, assassinate their leaders and do whatever else we can short of another wholesale invasion (and the last time we tried the wholesale invasion thing there the results backfired on us), what more specifically are you advocating here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.