1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Regulatory Burdens of Opening a Restaurant in NYC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Methinks someone from SportsJournalists.com is considering a run for NYC mayor!!!!

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

LOL ... what was it Art Buchwald wrote? "I always wanted to get into politics but I was never light enough to make the team." :)

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

No kidding. I don't care how many restaurant kitchens someone has been invited to enter...the real story comes when you venture into a restaurant kitchen that has been churning out 400 dishes on a Saturday night. Doesn't mean they're not clean environments, but they're certainly not completely sterile operating rooms. And no one should expect them to be.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The Department of Health in NYC has a website on which you can look up the last several years of inspections for every restaurant in the city. Pick some spots and do it. I don't care how fancy the restaurant. You might not ever eat out again.

Some of their rules that get you violation points are ticky tack -- food not in the approved kind of storage container, stuff like that. But when you read a place has "vermin" or open bait traps (against the rules) or fruit flies buzzing around the kitchen, it makes you rethink how hard it is to operate a "clean" kitchen in the city.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Doing any kind of business in NYC is difficult. I know people who set up at a trade show and were immediately accosted by a bunch of union people, who basically told them they couldn't scratch their asses because the union had exclusive ass scratching rights in the building.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That's not unique to New York City.

Chicago, Philly, Boston, Orlando, Anaheim are all universally awful when it comes to that stuff.

7. Smasher_Sloan

I'm just guessing the message is delivered a little more stridently in NY than it is in Orlando.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah I know people who saw a fat black mama driving a Cadillac and buying vodka with food stamps. It's a well-known fact.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's a fact.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

There are plenty of places one can open a business with little or no regulation.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's amazing to me that reasonably intelligent people think that it is a reasonable or worthwhile argument to make it sound as if no regulation and this regulation are the only two possibilities. It's such a basic logical fail, and yet it makes up a third of the posts in this thread.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Your point?

Draft saved Draft deleted