1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Recruiting Hat Dance

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Jan 10, 2013.

1. joe king

joe king Active Member

I seem to remember Means being the big stud 1,000-yard rusher at North Carolina.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

You remember correctly.

Matt Cassel never started a game at USC.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Natrone Means was excellent at North Carolina.

Jerome Bettis (I assume Butts is either an mix of Bus and Bettis or an autocorrect mistake) was outshined in his final season at Notre Dame by Reggie Brooks, but they split carries pretty evenly. The season before, he led the team in carries and rushing yards and scored 16 rushing touchdowns. At worst, he was in the LenDale White role.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Marion Butts - my bad, but he sat behind Sammie Smith at Florida State.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Are you thinking of Willie Parker?

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Choo Choo Justice?

Means was definitely the starter at UNC. He had two 1,000-yard seasons.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It would only be funny once, but I'd love to see some 1-star line up hats for Florida, USC, Oregon, etc., then trash them before whipping out the cap for the D-II school downstate.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that was Tyrod Taylor, actually.

9. RecoveringDesker

RecoveringDesker Active Member

No, it was definitely Marcus Vick. It was in 2002 and I watched it on the TV station out of Lynchburg. I moved out of the area not long afterward.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I don't like the hat dance because it contributes to the rock-star mentality that leads many of these kids astray in the end. Entitlement issues and all that. Now it's got to be orchestrated with smoke and mirrors, and now let's throw in some deception and some subtle taunts at the runner-up schools.

Now the kids demand the media stage, and the orchestrated adolation, and the YouTube videos, and they're not even out of high school yet. All that special attention contributes to the bigger problems that have corrupted or damaged a lot of college programs -- and a lot of those "rock stars" in the process.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The problems that have corrupted and damaged college sports have little to do with the players.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Didn't say that wasn't so.
    The hat dance has become an orchestrated circus.

Draft saved Draft deleted